Anyone been on a cruise and what did you think?

Thanks sedith, a work colleague of mine, like you has been on cruises and suggested Thomson. Much appreciated that you took the time out to reply! Thanks

Try to book on the Thomson late deals website near the time you want to go, I've had quite a few around £450 for 7 days.

I like Thomson because tipping is discretionary and not put onto your onboard bill automatically. Thomson also have 'open dining' policy which means you can choose to sit at a table with different people every night in the a la carte restaurant or simply take a table on your own!

Don't be put off by an inside cabin, they are not claustraphobic as you would imagine, the space cleverly designed with strategic mirrors.

---------- Post added 29-08-2016 at 22:45 ----------

Never considered this type of holiday. Very tempted now.

Are there any issues with sea sickness? I've been on the ferry to France a lot and sometimes struggle a bit.

Unless the sea is extremely rough you'll hardly notice you are moving

Also, what is the deal with food. Is it all included and do you have to dress up for dinner?

Thomson Cruises ...

You can eat in the al la carte or in various restaurants and cafe's on board. You are expected to dress casual, ie shirt and trousers in the a la carte restaurants which really should go as said. There is usually midnight buffet served till 1am

Food is included 24/7 as is coffee and tea and is included in the cruise price.

We've been on 11 cruises, all Thomson. Can't fault them though a week is enough, 2wks tends to get a bit repetitive.

It is wrongly assumed that the average age is about 70 yrs old, many younger people are doing this sort of holiday and the clientele is diverse, not 'stuck up' as suggested.

Prices on board are comparable with pub prices on land.

Don't think that doing a 'mini cruise' from Hull to Zebrugge is sampling cruising life, very far removed from life on a cruise ship.

I'd definitely recommend trying one.

The post said some people are stuck up.

Surely if the clientele is diverse, then there will be some stuck up people?

(also depends on what one interprets as stuck up)

Never considered this type of holiday. Very tempted now.

Are there any issues with sea sickness? I've been on the ferry to France a lot and sometimes struggle a bit.

Also, what is the deal with food. Is it all included and do you have to dress up for dinner?

Most boats have stabillisers which greatly cut the chance of any seasickness. The bay of Biscay can get a bit rough if travelling south from Portsmouth or Southampton, but pills are available or a magic injection which you have to pay for, but I've never personally been seasick.

Cruises might seem expensive at first but there are always deals to be had, and for what you get, is marvellous value. The food is all inclusive, and in my experience has always been terrific. It's a major selling point of a cruise; Breakfast, lunch and dinner, often afternoon tea, and places for snacks, tea and coffee etc. Alcoholic drinks are not included and can be expensive (but you can often pre-purchase a drinks package, or get this included in the price for a bit extra.

As a general rule there is usually a place for informal self-service dining, with no dressing up, and open most of the time, and a couple of more formal dining rooms with 3 or 4 course meals and waiter service. Here you would dress smart-casual, eg slacks and a shirt for men, (sometimes a jacket) and a dress or smart trousers for the lady, and have to adhere to certain times when the restaurants are open

One or two nights will be formal nights where men are expected to wear black tie and the lady evening dress, but you can avoid these if you wish by dining perfectly happily in the self service restaurant (the food is just as good, and often more varied.)

Then there will also be a number of speciality restaurants, eg a steak grill, or a celebrity chef restaurant for which there will be an extra charge, but you only go to these if you want to. There are usually numerous bars and clubs

There will be a programme of entertainment each day, from quizzes and games tournaments, swimming, dancing and sports, etc to evening theatre with shows and performances, again all included in the price, and numerous bars and clubs where you just pay for your drinks like you would in any pub.

Shore excursions are good but expensive when organised by the ship. You can do most of them independently for a lower price. There are tons of websites, reviews, hacks and tips that you can read to get an idea of the best way to do it. Or you can stay on board and have the ship to yourself.

The only bad news is the gratuities which you are expected to pay at the end of your voyage. They are added onto your bill at the ships rate. I believe you can refuse to pay them, but to be honest, the staff are lovely and work so hard to make sure you have a wonderful time they deserve every penny.

The people we've met on cruises have all been very nice, down to earth people of all ages. Some ships don't take children, but others love them. Some ships attract an older age group. Disabled people can be well catered for, and single people are made very welcome.

Every ship is different, but there's a wealth of information on their cruise websites so you can find one which will suit you. They will have everything you want to know, sometimes a video, and several forums you can ask questions on.

Cruising. I'd recommend it!

Went on a cruise round the Caribbean which was very enjoyable,

before that one we went on a Mediterranean cruise, there was a murder on the boat, the body had to be offloaded in Madeira, the flag was at half-mast.

Blimey!

Where's Poirot when you need him.

Jesting aside, how did that affect the rest of the cruise?

Anna B ...... Gratuities that's what worries me! Would hate to think I have saved over the last 2 years and was obliged to pay this! ..... How does this work? So I can budget this. Also can you take your own alcohol on ship?

Gratuities do come as a nasty shock when you first start cruising, but now I just allow for it in my budgeting. You can find out how much it will be before you book your cruise.

I think (but I'm not sure) that the last cruise I went on it was about £12 per cabin per day, or something like that. It's added automatically to your bill and you pay it at the end of the holiday. As i say, I believe you can refuse to pay it, (you'll have to check) and as you're getting off the ship anyway what can they do?

You don't use cash on board, everything you spend is put on your bill and paid at the end of the holiday. I'd advise you to keep a daily check on it as it can't half add up when you're in the holiday mood. Some boats, especially the American ones IMO, are very good at parting you from your money at every opportunity. The shops are expensive, even when they have their flash sales, alcohol is expensive, then there are the art auctions, photographs, jewellery, spa treatments, over priced wine tastings, gambling, etc etc etc. All very tempting, but I can be incredibly tight when I have to be, and don't indulge.

Don't let this put you off, it's pretty standard, and you just allow for it. I still have a great time regardless.

Taking your own alcohol on board is usually an absolute no-no, and is vigorously policed with scanners at every port. If you buy it and bring it on board they will 'save it' for you until you get off. I understand there might be ways of smuggling it on board (again see the blogs and forums) but as I don't drink much anyway I've never tried it. However the last ship I was on, (Princess line,) allowed you to bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin, which was lovely.

My wife and I have been on several Thomson cruises. I'm a wheelchair user and the crew have always done thier best to assist us. I cannot fault the food or entertainment I would recommend getting a drinks package when you book your cruise they are a lot cheaper than onboard.