The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

I thought I had answered this further up: either a full revolution, preferably a non-violent one, else we need to set up a new party that does things differently, and get it voted into government.

What sort of party? Different how? And voted into government how? Who is going to fund its election campaign?

Are you going to stand?

What sort of party? Different how? And voted into government how? Who is going to fund its election campaign?

That is probably a question that warrants another thread.

Are you going to stand?

I will if you round up enough people for the nomination, and a whip round for the deposit. ;)

Have left it a bit late for this election I fear though. :(

No, we didn't.

Thanks for being pedantic. That's why I said we had a vote on a FORM of it.

In 2011 we had a vote on the alternative vote and more than twice as many voted against it as for it, and I couldn't see that changing if we had a vote on true PR.

Like I said, thanks for being pedantic.

I know it's not, but it's the nearest we've had.

It was another of Cameron's gambles but this time he got the result he wanted as he knew not many wanted it. I Think it would have been a different outcome if PR was proposed. I voted against AV but would have voted for PR.

Like I said, thanks for being pedantic.

I know it's not, but it's the nearest we've had.

I'm not sure that it would class as being pedantic. You asked if we had a vote on a form of PR. The answer is no, as AV is not a form of PR, therefore saying that the answer is no is not being pedantic.

If you'd asked if we had had a vote on a different voting system then the answer is yes.

It was another of Cameron's gambles but this time he got the result he wanted as he knew not many wanted it. I Think it would have been a different outcome if PR was proposed. I voted against AV but would have voted for PR.

You may well be right. But as I said earlier the two main parties are against it and that vote will be as good as it gets. Cameron probably gets up every morning with his head in his hands after the brexit referendum saying 'what was I thinking about giving them a vote?'

He knew the Lib Dems wanted PR, and may well have got it, so in a bit of typical Cameron slight of hand he offered AV instead, which he knew most people didn't understand and wouldn't vote for.

I think he was going to try and play a similar gambit with the referendum, but by that time they had been forewarned of his dodgy tactics and he found himself outflanked and pinned down on exactly what the wording had to be, and that left him with no way to manouvre.

I'm not sure that it would class as being pedantic. You asked if we had a vote on a form of PR. The answer is no, as AV is not a form of PR, therefore saying that the answer is no is not being pedantic.

If you'd asked if we had had a vote on a different voting system then the answer is yes.

OK, so I phrased it wrong,then said it was the nearest we'd had, but make no apologies for calling someone pedantic.