The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

Huh? Has that been formally proposed??

When does the recess end? Before or after the leadership vote?

It has indeed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36660386

They're back briefly before conferences on 5th September

http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/business-faq-page/recess-dates/

This is the real problem. Normally I would like to see Labour struggling, but not to this extent. Our system depends on an effective opposition.

In a presidential system, such as the French, power is split between the executive and the parliament. In our system the head of parliament controls both parliament and acts as executive. We need somebody to stand up and claim that they're destroying the country, even if it's nonsense.

Exactly my sentiments. Although at a certain level I enjoy watching the mess that Labour has got itself into, I do think the country needs a strong and effective opposition party in order for the Government to be kept in check. A one party state is good for no-one.

Exactly my sentiments. Although at a certain level I enjoy watching the mess that Labour has got itself into, I do think the country needs a strong and effective opposition party in order for the Government to be kept in check. A one party state is good for no-one.

I think many would agree with us. I'd love to see the detail of the Speaker's decision on the matter, but I don't think it's been published. Perhaps it's a judgement call and there's nothing to publish.

What makes you think that the railways would need a bigger subsidy under public ownership? The East Coast Mainline actually returned a net surplus to the taxpayer, at the same time as providing the much better service that alchresearch drew our attention to, when it was under public control.

The subsidy goes almost entirely to network rail which is a state entity controlling the track and other infrastructure. East Coast Mainline would have had to try very hard not to turn a profit. Making a profit as an operator is not the issue.

Stands to reason really. Not surprising that subsidising a non-profit-driven organisation provides taxpayers with better value than subsidising a profit-driven one. Nor that allowing the staff to focus on passengers' needs provides the passengers with better service than making the staff focus on making a profit for the owners.

Does indeed stand to reason. That's exactly how it should work. It's just not how it is in reality.

Bringing all train operators back to state control is a red herring.

The infrastructure is already in state control. It is network rail, a state entity, which receives the subsidy and determines most the the performance on which the system is judged.

We should not be discussing nationalising the railways. They are nationalised. Moving operators in or out of state ownership might make a small improvement (I suspect a small detriment) but either way it's small.

Edited by unbeliever

Dear oh dear.....'poor me' syndrome and ignoring the whole post because you can't answer it without looking moronic....

Out of interest have you been purged Deano?

Its not a case of poor me syndrome, or looking MORONIC... its treating people with a little respect, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with their argument, lowering yourself to having to use personal digs at someone is pretty lame, but you can continue if you think it strengthens your argument..

Back to the topic at hand, no i havent been purged, well not at the moment but i still havent received my ballot either..

Its not a case of poor me syndrome, or looking MORONIC... its treating people with a little respect, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with their argument, lowering yourself to having to use personal digs at someone is pretty lame, but you can continue if you think it strengthens your argument..

Back to the topic at hand, no i havent been purged, well not at the moment but i still havent received my ballot either..

The argument you failed to counter because you cant?

More convenient to play victim of abuse huh? Being told to grow up is sooooooo hurtful? I think you do need to grow up, frankly.

Personal digs? Lol. Call me Satan if you want. Other Corbynistas throw it around.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/08/31/jk-rowling-jeremy-corbyn-is-not-dumbledore/

Edited by Santo

More convenient to play victim of abuse huh? Being told to grow up is sooooooo hurtful?

Personal digs? Lol. Call me Satan if you want. Other Corynistas throw it around.

which argument did i fail to counter? ask again without pages of drivel

More convenient to play victim of abuse huh? Being told to grow up is sooooooo hurtful? I think you do need to grow up, frankly.

Personal digs? Lol. Call me Satan if you want. Other Corbynistas throw it around.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/08/31/jk-rowling-jeremy-corbyn-is-not-dumbledore/

It is the tip of the iceberg i'm afraid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/22/45-female-labour-mps-write-to-jeremy-corbyn-demanding-he-does-mo/