The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

Correct he hasnt won the Ghandi peace prize, hes won the Ghandi peace award (two different things you see). I'm no fan but play fair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandhi_Peace_Award

haha that's the funniest thing ever. There's the Gandhi Peace Prize, which appears to be rather leftist, and then there's this Gandhi Peace Award too, which is even more leftist than the other one.

the last (2017) Gandhi Peace Award appears to have been shared between Omar Barghouti and Ralph Nader. I rest my case.

Never take anything for granted in politics the last few years have seen changes that previously would have dismissed has fantasy. Your vote could help decided that change also to remember some countries don't allow their people to vote.

I have made my choice i am afraid,i will be staying at home.A lot of people i have spoken too at work intend to do the same or just spoil their vote.It will be the first general election that i havent voted in but i am not going to regret it.I do not like many of the policies of all the parties.The greens,lib dems and bnp are just a joke and the others are not much better.

I have made my choice i am afraid,i will be staying at home.A lot of people i have spoken too at work intend to do the same or just spoil their vote.It will be the first general election that i havent voted in but i am not going to regret it.I do not like many of the policies of all the parties.The greens,lib dems and bnp are just a joke and the others are not much better.

Ever thought about standing has a independent believe it or not some do rather well has some people move away from main stream parties ? Regards to voting it is your right to decline but remember many people suffered to get you that right.

This is palpable nonsense. You have costed the manifesto where the Tories failed to do so.

Can you supply the costings please.

Look it is blatantly obvious that there is a big difference between the pledges in the Conservative manifesto and the Labour manifesto. Labour are committing themselves to many tens of billions of extra spending, not even including the unknown costs of their nationalisation projects (£69,000,000,000 for water alone). That's not costed in the manifesto, only that they say they'll borrow more. Where they have provided costings through tax rises, even the expert economists don't think they'll raise anywhere near the amount. The IMF was damning about both manifestos.

As I've said, the Conservatives manifesto doesn't really have any big spending pledges that weren't already outlined in the March budget.

There is a BBC (and so hopefully unbiased) look overview of the Conservative manifesto funding here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/election-2017-39976318/conservative-manifesto-how-would-pledges-be-funded

As the chap says, there isn't really anything in the Manifesto that would indicate taxes would need to rise, as there aren't really any big spending pledges.

If you expect me to go through the entire Conservative manifesto and write down the funding sources for each pledge at 23.30 at night then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed, but if you have a particular expensive pledge in mind that you don't think is fundable without unannounced borrowing or tax rises let me know and I'll see if I can ease your concern (in the morning..). Like I said, most pledges were in the March budget.

Look it is blatantly obvious that there is a big difference between the pledges in the Conservative manifesto and the Labour manifesto. Labour are committing themselves to many tens of billions of extra spending, not even including the unknown costs of their nationalisation projects (£69,000,000,000 for water alone). That's not costed in the manifesto, only that they say they'll borrow more. Where they have provided costings through tax rises, even the expert economists don't think they'll raise anywhere near the amount. The IMF was damning about both manifestos.

As I've said, the Conservatives manifesto doesn't really have any big spending pledges that weren't already outlined in the March budget.

There is a BBC (and so hopefully unbiased) look overview of the Conservative manifesto funding here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/election-2017-39976318/conservative-manifesto-how-would-pledges-be-funded

As the chap says, there isn't really anything in the Manifesto that would indicate taxes would need to rise, as there aren't really any big spending pledges.

If you expect me to go through the entire Conservative manifesto and write down the funding sources for each pledge at 23.30 at night then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed, but if you have a particular expensive pledge in mind that you don't think is fundable without unannounced borrowing or tax rises let me know and I'll see if I can ease your concern (in the morning..). Like I said, most pledges were in the March budget.

Yes please. Go through it and provide the costings.

or you could just google 'IFS Conservative manifesto' and report back with your findings.

Guest makapaka
Whats the point of voting anything other than labour in sheffield,they always win.My vote wont be changing the outcome in sheffield.It has taken me a long time to realise my life never gets any better or any worse whoever is in charge.I am not poor but i am not rich either.The worst time for me was under Blairs era but i didnt starve,i have to stop mentioning him,i need valium when i mention his name.

This is the single worst attitude you can have in an election.

Whats the point of voting anything other than labour in sheffield,they always win.My vote wont be changing the outcome in sheffield.It has taken me a long time to realise my life never gets any better or any worse whoever is in charge.I am not poor but i am not rich either.The worst time for me was under Blairs era but i didnt starve,i have to stop mentioning him,i need valium when i mention his name.

Sheffield has several constituencies. They aren't all Labour. I don't know where you live, but some are marginals, where the vote could go either way.

And the actual vote count which is always read out at elections is an important indicator of which way people's thinking is moving, and this alone can keep the politicians on their toes. In theory anywhere can become a marginal, and then the candidates have to fight damned hard to keep it or win/lose it.

As for Blair, he was just a Tory in a different coloured coat. Now with the rise of Jeremy Corbyn, for the first time in years you have a real choice of two different ideologies. Already Mrs May has had to moderate her stance to appear 'more caring' so even without winning, Corbyn's influence is already making a difference.

Yes please. Go through it and provide the costings.

or you could just google 'IFS Conservative manifesto' and report back with your findings.

I've read the IMF report on both manifestos. That was clear in my last post. I said that they are damning about both manifestos. They do confirm however that the Conservatives aren't pledging anything expensive, and it is the 5 more years of austerity that could be potentially damaging. For Labour, they say it is the billions upon billions of pounds of uncosted and badly costed pledges that could be potentially damaging. I'm sure you've read the report too, so why are pretending otherwise?

I provided a link where my conclusion about the Conservative manifesto (backed up by the IMF) was also confirmed by a nonpartisan person on the BBC, who again said that the Conservatives aren't pledging anything that would likely cause unseen tax rises or further cuts.

I'm flattered that you apparently take my word over that of the IMF and independent experts, but I'm not entirely sure why?

haha that's the funniest thing ever. There's the Gandhi Peace Prize, which appears to be rather leftist, and then there's this Gandhi Peace Award too, which is even more leftist than the other one.

the last (2017) Gandhi Peace Award appears to have been shared between Omar Barghouti and Ralph Nader. I rest my case.

No, now you are making yourself look like a fool. Just admit you didn't know Corbyn had won a peace award and you were wrong. Whatever you think about the award isn't relevant compared to statement that Corbyn had won nothing which was a complete lie.

I've read the IMF report on both manifestos. That was clear in my last post. I said that they are damning about both manifestos. They do confirm however that the Conservatives aren't pledging anything expensive, and it is the 5 more years of austerity that could be potentially damaging. For Labour, they say it is the billions upon billions of pounds of uncosted and badly costed pledges that could be potentially damaging. I'm sure you've read the report too, so why are pretending otherwise?

I provided a link where my conclusion about the Conservative manifesto (backed up by the IMF) was also confirmed by a nonpartisan person on the BBC, who again said that the Conservatives aren't pledging anything that would likely cause unseen tax rises or further cuts.

I'm flattered that you apparently take my word over that of the IMF and independent experts, but I'm not entirely sure why?

That is highly disingenuous.

Costings are not just about spending, but also about the impact that policies will have on the economy, and therefore government revenue. The conservative proposals carry serious risks.

You have to move out of a mindset where the actual government spend is the headline. Quite often what the government decides not to spend money on poses greater risk