The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

Why does Hammond need a maths lesson again?

Because he miscalculated how many people had seen quite a famous controversial ice cream advert and everyone ended up thinking he was a homophobe.

Oh sorry, that was a different Hammond.

Why does Hammond need a maths lesson again?

He got the cost of HS2 wrong by £20bn

Makes Abbotts mistake look like she was a trainee shopgirl who gave you the wrong change from a quid.

Makes Abbotts mistake look like she was a trainee shopgirl who gave you the wrong change from a quid.

you really think he made the costings on HS2, or just announced them. The point is he knew what he had been briefed on.

That's not really the same tho is it?

He said £32 billion instead of £52 billion. The fact he misremembered the figure doesn't really have any bearing on anything as it isn't a new policy that needs costing. All the figures are already out there in the public domain.

It is not like he's been working to the £32 billion figure and so will be left with a £20 billion hole - the costings are as they have always been (although granted ever increasing - I don't have a particular strong desire for HS2, although it has cross party support..) he just said the wrong number.

You can't really put Abbot's mistake down to misremembering. A child would know that recruiting 10,000 police officers would cost a hell of a lot more than £300,000 unless you are paying them absolute peanuts.

Even if she'd mistakenly said that in a moment of madness, which we can all have, and immediately corrected herself it would have been fine. Instead she quoted another incorrect figure, then said they were recruiting 250,000 officers, then said 2250. It was a complete shambles.

you really think he made the costings on HS2, or just announced them. The point is he knew what he had been briefed on.

Blimey. That's not the point. He simply got it wrong by £20bn. A gaffe. Politicians do it all the time.

---------- Post added 07-06-2017 at 21:29 ----------

That's not really the same tho is it?

He said £32 billion instead of £52 billion. The fact he misremembered the figure doesn't really have any bearing on anything as it isn't a new policy that needs costing. All the figures are already out there in the public domain.

It is not like he's been working to the £32 billion figure and so will be left with a £20 billion hole - the costings are as they have always been (although granted ever increasing - I don't have a particular strong desire for HS2, although it has cross party support..) he just said the wrong number.

You can't really put Abbot's mistake down to misremembering. A child would know that recruiting 10,000 police officers would cost a hell of a lot more than £300,000 unless you are paying them absolute peanuts.

Even if she'd mistakenly said that in a moment of madness, which we can all have, and immediately corrected herself it would have been fine. Instead she quoted another incorrect figure, then said they were recruiting 250,000 officers, then said 2250. It was a complete shambles.

No it's not the same. It's far worse.

The Chancellor got the cost of the UKs biggest infrastructure project wrong by £20bn

That is monumentally worse on practically every level. The only thing I'll concede is that he did it more confidently.

Blimey. That's not the point. He simply got it wrong by £20bn. A gaffe. Politicians do it all the time.

The Chancellor got the cost of the UKs biggest infrastructure project wrong by £20bn

That is monumentally worse on practically every level. The only thing I'll concede is that he did it more confidently.

You really need sleep :shocked:

Long day tomorrow :)

You really need sleep :shocked:

Long day tomorrow :)

I'm off work this week, call me a saddo but I'm intending to stay up through the night tomorrow drawing or whatever with the election coverage on.

Think about it for a moment.

Abbott thinking policemen cost £30 a year is either a lack of basic intelligence or basic maths ability.

Hammond not knowing the HS2 price is a matter of not knowing the most up to date figures.

£300,000 for 10,000 policemen is obviously wrong. Very very simple maths would reveal that.

£32billion for HS2 is not obviously wrong. Indeed earlier estimations were around that amount. Saying that instead of £52billion could be a simple slip of the tongue, it could be not knowing the current estimated figure. Both are gaffes, but Abbott's was far worse.