The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

At the moment immigrants vote for the established parties - mostly labour.

by that, I believe you mean not immigrants, but nonwhites. Immigrants who are just UK residents and are not British citizens cannot vote in national parliamentary elections.

one of the stories of the 2017 election we've just had is that Labour recovered from the loss of the BAME vote that so badly damaged them in 2015. All of a sudden, a third of the BAME vote voted Tory in 2015, a big drop for Labour which not even the Tories really expected. Labour only got just above 50% of the BAME vote, in 2015. To put this loss for Labour in some kind of perspective, 80% of the BAME vote voted Labour in 1997. So much of the BAME vote going Tory in 2015 was a real surprise, and is in fact one of the big reasons why the Tories won the 2015 election unexpectedly. The good news for Labour in 2017 is that they recovered this and the BAME vote came back in 2017 to about the 2010 level.

The problem I see for labour now is the level of expectation.

Prior to the last election, so little was expected of them, that an honourable defeat was a victory (of sorts)

Now, depending on what happens with the Conservative/DUP alliance - and any potential by-elections blowing even that majority away, the momentum (if you'll excuse the pun) is with labour

Surely the next conservative leader can't perform as badly as Mrs May did and their election campaign can't ever be as bad again can it?

Assuming the answer to those questions is no, has this left leaning Labour party got enough untapped support to get over the line next time around? I'm not convinced.

You often hear the phrase "stranger things have happened" - I'm not sure that would apply if Labour did form the next Government

Labour SHOULD be pleased.

they've got back to where they were in 2010 - mostly because of May's surprising level of total incompetence, in every area, Corbyn has shown himself to be the superior politician, and not this stiff robot May has now defined herself to the UK electorate as being. She'll never be able to shed that image now, she can't possibly win another election if there is one in the next year or two, everyone knows it, and she'll have to go. Tory leaders are there not to preside over a company board meeting, but to win elections, and if they can't win them like May has shown that she can't win them (even against Corbyn's Labour), then they have to go. It's difficult to know what to predict. But she's been so bad, not just during the election campaign but also after it, that I'd have to expect a challenge, and a rushed and panicky Tory leadership election quite soon with a large number of hopefuls throwing their hat in the ring.

The whole interview was an absolute car crash of epic proportions if she can't get her facts right 5 weeks before a general election what message does that send out, shes a total liabilty and shes put another nail in Labours coffin, the Tory party must love her.
I'll see your Abbott 'car crash' interview before the GE, and raise you
'car crash' interview 2 days ago...in fact, with that one, I think I'm safe to go all in :D

The contrasting treatment of Mr Johnson by the MSM, relative to that of Ms Abbott, is interesting, don't you think?

I'll see your Abbott 'car crash' interview before the GE, and raise you
'car crash' interview 2 days ago...in fact, with that one, I think I'm safe to go all in :D

The contrasting treatment of Mr Johnson by the MSM, relative to that of Ms Abbott, is interesting, don't you think?

Not sure, it's not exactly news that Boris Johnson is an idiot...

Labour SHOULD be pleased.

they've got back to where they were in 2010 - mostly because of May's surprising level of total incompetence, in every area, Corbyn has shown himself to be the superior politician, and not this stiff robot May has now defined herself to the UK electorate as being. She'll never be able to shed that image now, she can't possibly win another election if there is one in the next year or two, everyone knows it, and she'll have to go. Tory leaders are there not to preside over a company board meeting, but to win elections, and if they can't win them like May has shown that she can't win them (even against Corbyn's Labour), then they have to go. It's difficult to know what to predict. But she's been so bad, not just during the election campaign but also after it, that I'd have to expect a challenge, and a rushed and panicky Tory leadership election quite soon with a large number of hopefuls throwing their hat in the ring.

I'm saying this as a non Tory supporter..they are the biggest party in parliament..they got the most votes...in what way didn't they win?

Guest sibon
I'm saying this as a non Tory supporter..they are the biggest party in parliament..they got the most votes...in what way didn't they win?

In the way that they didn't gain an absolute majority.

There were more seats won by other parties than by the Tories, so from that perspective they didn't win.

As a very non-Tory supporter, I hope they manage to stick together for a couple of years though. The last thing we need is yet more instability.

Sadly, they are too riddled with self-interest and infighting, so I can't see them limping on beyond October.

The Conservatives lost seats relative to before the GE, and consequentially lost their majority in the HoC, to the extent of now having to rely on 3rd parties for effecting policies, lest they get legislatively checked at every turn.

Obvious enough, I'd have thought. Erm, for non-Tory supporters, that is ;)