The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

Guest sibon
"We" cannot say anything definitive. Much of the Labour vote increase seems to have come from enthusing under-25s to vote; and they are far more likely than older voters to support left-wing parties. But sudden enthusiasms tend to melt away once reality sets in.

Have you seen the breakdown of the vote?

I'll give you the headlines: Labour won in each age range up to 55 years old. Then the Tories won. Without being too indelicate, Labour probably have the more "stable" demographic. I think that the over 55s are more likely to "melt away" permanently once Biological certainty sets in.

Edited by sibon

ok , thanks for that . so it was open to anybody with 3 quid ? Why haven't labour gone down this road before ?

basically yeah, i believe it was actually brought in to take away power from the unions who had block votes, i believe it was the Blairites that first started it, unfortunately it went against them this time, this time around they were the ones in the labour party that were moaning it let Corbyn in, but they actually introduced it

"We" cannot say anything definitive. Much of the Labour vote increase seems to have come from enthusing under-25s to vote; and they are far more likely than older voters to support left-wing parties. But sudden enthusiasms tend to melt away once reality sets in.

Well you either think it's the end of the Labour Party or not and I've just given you some stats to suggest it's not the end ?

To suggest otherwise I'm afraid is not logical

Like Jefferey said, enthusiasms tend to melt away once reality sets in:

Thousands of Labour members leave the party after choosing not to renew subscriptions

"About 60 per cent of these people joined to take part in the 2016 leadership election and immediately went into arrears," the report said.

"The other 40 per cent joined to take part in the 2015 leadership election and didn’t renew their membership after the first year.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/28/thousands-labour-members-leave-party-chosing-not-renew-subscriptions/

They may have recently bounced back with Corbyn's rallies, but it will no doubt drop off again.

Like Jefferey said, enthusiasms tend to melt away once reality sets in:

Thousands of Labour members leave the party after choosing not to renew subscriptions

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/28/thousands-labour-members-leave-party-chosing-not-renew-subscriptions/

They may have recently bounced back with Corbyn's rallies, but it will no doubt drop off again.

Its the Torygraph...as far as I know, the party membership has increased month on month..

The tories and libs could only dream about such figures..

Its the Torygraph...as far as I know, the party membership has increased month on month..

The tories and libs could only dream about such figures..

Its more about quality than quantity. Those who joined did so just to vote for Corbyn in the leadership election then disappeared.

Its more about quality than quantity. Those who joined did so just to vote for Corbyn in the leadership election then disappeared.

Have they?

Party insiders said that the total membership now stands at 552,000, up from 517,000 when last recorded.The rise in numbers came after Corbyn gained 30 extra seats in the election on June 8, denying Theresa May her Commons majority.

The party expects its peak of 554,000 – reached last July – to be overtaken within days.

Labour is now the largest political party in Western Europe, having more than doubled its 200,000 membership since Corbyn became leader in 2015.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-party-membership-soars-by-33000-in-four-days-since-general-election_uk_59400feee4b0e84514ee930f

Have they?

Party insiders said that the total membership now stands at 552,000, up from 517,000 when last recorded.The rise in numbers came after Corbyn gained 30 extra seats in the election on June 8, denying Theresa May her Commons majority.

The party expects its peak of 554,000 – reached last July – to be overtaken within days.

Labour is now the largest political party in Western Europe, having more than doubled its 200,000 membership since Corbyn became leader in 2015.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-party-membership-soars-by-33000-in-four-days-since-general-election_uk_59400feee4b0e84514ee930f

....and yet they still failed to come even close of beating the number of seats won by the Tories and even further away from securing a majority government.

Seems to me that party membership numbers and real world voter performance are miles apart and meaningless.

Always find it amusing when media organisations try to pursue that angle.

....and yet they still failed to come even close of beating the number of seats won by the Tories and even further away from securing a majority government.

Seems to me that party membership numbers and real world voter performance are miles apart and meaningless.

Always find it amusing when media organisations try to pursue that angle.

and this point i am not argueing,

But one thing that i do find odd when people are talking about labours membership, and they quote that labour had X amount of members and now they only have Y amount of members, people like to assume that the increase in membership was because of Corbyn, and that any decrease in membership was also because of Corbyn...they seem to ignore the fact that the media were begging people to pay £3 to get rid of Corbyn, so we must assume that a lot/some of the £3 voters were anti Corbyn