The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

Well as a party member supporting a leader rejected by the bulk of the party's MPs and the general election 3 and a half years away, you might like to check up on that. Only withdrawing of the whip can purge the party of those MPs disloyal to Mr Corbyn.

which would leave a corbin led labour party with around 50 mps.

which would leave a corbin led labour party with around 50 mps.

Yes. But probably still the second largest grouping in parliament. Just.

Then of course he can prove us all wrong by sweeping to victory against the Conservatives, Lib Dems, UKIP and the brand new SDP2 in 2020.

Couldn't be bothered trawling through all the posts but Corbyn was fairly elected last year, seems ridiculous that the Party can't accept that.

While there is that, what if he's not up to the job?

Its all very well having public support, but they don't have to work with him, they only know him from the limited interactions at his speeches or what the media have told you about him.

When you get a job, you're on probation for three months. If you can't do the job, you're out. You wouldn't dig in your heels and say "I'm not going".

While there is that, what if he's not up to the job?

Its all very well having public support, but they don't have to work with him, they only know him from the limited interactions at his speeches or what the media have told you about him.

When you get a job, you're on probation for three months. If you can't do the job, you're out. You wouldn't dig in your heels and say "I'm not going".

That would be fair enough, i wouldnt mind if they gave him a try and he wasnt up to the job, but we all know, he was never even given a chance, labour figures openly said from day one they would get him out, ...FACT...they undermined him from day one, they didnt like the direction the party was going in, so they were never going to give him a chance,

That would be fair enough, i wouldnt mind if they gave him a try and he wasnt up to the job, but we all know, he was never even given a chance, labour figures openly said from day one they would get him out, ...FACT...they undermined him from day one, they didnt like the direction the party was going in, so they were never going to give him a chance,

Some of them knew him very well and already knew he wasn't up to the job?

I'd agree with that. The fact he was added on to the original list of candidates and only just scraped the number of nominations shows he wasn't well liked internally.

But, then again, is there good reason? He's only ever been a backbencher, not much of a career to speak of, no leadership aspirations or held back because he's not up to the job or a trouble causer? I'm sure he was put on as a joke, but it backfired spectacularly with the £3 membership fiasco.

Whatever the reasons, and I guess we'll never know, its not good for the party and its now going to be in its dark days of lurching from leader to leader, much like the Tories after Major, and the Lib Dems after Ashdown.

that may well be the case, but does that give them the right to undermine a democratically elected leader from day one?

Yes. They played by the rules. It would also be playing by the rules if, within due process, Corbyn has them removed from the party.

These people can't work together. They don't believe in each other.

Yes. They played by the rules. It would also be playing by the rules if, within due process, Corbyn has them removed from the party.

These people can't work together. They don't believe in each other.

what many folk may have missed is the timing of all this. Between now and the next election there is a boundary reveiw so a large number of seats will cease to exist and mps will face selection to fight for totally new parliamentary seats.Of course this means that the local parties will also cease to exist and so are not in a position to deselect anyone. Virtually every seat in the uk will be effected either by boundary changes or simply ceasing to exist.

It would seem to be the case that after 2018 there will be 600 new seats to fight over in 2020 and anyone wishing to fight those seats will need the nomination of whatever local party sets up base there or they could stand as an independent.

what many folk may have missed is the timing of all this. Between now and the next election there is a boundary reveiw so a large number of seats will cease to exist and mps will face selection to fight for totally new parliamentary seats.Of course this means that the local parties will also cease to exist and so are not in a position to deselect anyone. Virtually every seat in the uk will be effected either by boundary changes or simply ceasing to exist.

It would seem to be the case that after 2018 there will be 600 new seats to fight over in 2020 and anyone wishing to fight those seats will need the nomination of whatever local party sets up base there or they could stand as an independent.

This is an excellent point. Although I wouldn't be surprised is quite a large number of local party organisations survived intact.