The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

To be honest I want labour to lose every general election, but I don't want a situation where a totally inept and incompetent idiot runs the labour party so they are no effective opposition whatsoever. I suppose there a great many yahoos and street protesters who think this is a price worth paying and actually want to be in oposition because what they actually oppose is the entire form of UK democracy.

Odd isn't it that folk who are anti labour actually want labour to be an effective party because that is how democracy works. The folk who want corbin in charge of labour want him to destroy the party to the extent where they are reduced to a banner waving mob who march, protest, disrupt and deface posters.

Its a strange old world. It seems corbin appeals to folk who think a dancing banana is debating.

So true. Until faced with the real prospect of the death of the Labour party I would have expected my reaction to its demise to be one of great joy. In fact I started off this thread in that frame of mind only to come to realise that I'm actually quite sad about it.

A few years ago, it would have been okay. We could expect the Lib Dems to rise up and retake their place at the top of politics which they held or many years before the rise of Labour. But they're really not in any position to do so. Now if the anti-Corbyn Labour MPs were to defect to the Lib Dems rather than forming their own break-away party...

It seems to be we've done the main question here to death and we're going around in circles.

I would like to change the subject a little so I've started a new thread with a different but related question.

Who will replace Labour as the main "progressive" voice in parliament?

Of course I'm not King of the Forum or anything so it's just a suggestion.

Edited by unbeliever

Alan Johnson was on the Matt Forde show last night. Amusing chap.

Whilst he didn't put the blame entirely on Corbyn for losing the referendum he said he wasn't as helpful as he might have been. Johnson ran the Labour campaign. He said because Corbyn is surrounded by people like Seumas Milne and John McConnell, who are fiercely anti-EU, Corbyn's message didn't get across as well as he wanted.

As an example he said speeches he'd prepared using the word 'I' were doctored to 'The Labour Party.' As in 'the Labour Party want us to remain in the EU.'

---------- Post added 15-09-2016 at 13:21 ----------

lets change it to corwyn then

No, that makes him look Welsh.

Edited by Santo

So true. Until faced with the real prospect of the death of the Labour party I would have expected my reaction to its demise to be one of great joy. In fact I started off this thread in that frame of mind only to come to realise that I'm actually quite sad about it.

My feelings are the same. I once voted Labour. I may do again at some point.

It made me laugh last year when both Labour and the Tories were saying "Vote Corbyn", but although its made the Tories leaps and bounds ahead, its a hollow victory, like winning the 100M against a little crippled boy.

My feelings are the same. I once voted Labour. I may do again at some point.

It made me laugh last year when both Labour and the Tories were saying "Vote Corbyn", but although its made the Tories leaps and bounds ahead, its a hollow victory, like winning the 100M against a little crippled boy.

Yes. Perhaps I went off bashing Labour when I could see that they were metaphorically curled up on the ground crying from the bashing Momentum have given them, and that Momentum were still kicking them and laughing about it.

Don't believe the media hype

Jeremy will secure leadership again

And then he can concentrate on the general election

Yes, he'll probably win the Labour Party leadership.

But when many of its MPs decamp, his concentration on a General Election almost four years hence will be irrelevant.

And, sad to say, he might be too by that time.

Yes, he'll probably win the Labour Party leadership.

But when many of its MPs decamp, his concentration on a General Election almost four years hence will be irrelevant.

And, sad to say, he might be too by that time.

He's easily going to win Jeffrey :nod:

Despite all the desperate gerrymandering :hihi:

As for the rest, in the lap of the gods! :)