The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

But that would also level out the anomolies that give labour an electoral advantage. The tories would gain seats, labour would lose seats, but with 650 mps the gains and loses would be rather higher.

Possibly but I think it's better to make the reforms in stages.

MP reduction can come later and there is kind of an advantage to doing it that way. The initial equalisation of constituency sizes is going to create some anomalies so revisiting later say in a gradual reduction of MPs (e.g. 650-->625-->600) gives a chance to correct those anomalies, and address the inevitable gripes that will arise from parts of the electorate. It also gives a chance to revisit the permitted variance in new constituency sizes that right now looks like a figure plucked from the air.

I think it's espcially important now because Brexit could lead to some poweful migratory inflows and outflows, for example EU citizens leaving Britain, and British citizens in the EU repatriating themselves.

Edited by I1L2T3

Possibly but I think it's better to make the reforms in stages.

MP reduction can come later and there is kind of an advantage to doing it that way. The initial equalisation of constituency sizes is going to create some anomalies so revisiting later say in a gradual reduction of MPs (e.g. 650-->625-->600) gives a chance to correct those anomalies, and address the inevitable gripes that will arise from parts of the electorate. It also gives a chance to revisit the permitted variance in new constituency sizes that right now looks like a figure plucked from the air.

I think it's espcially important now because Brexit could lead to some poweful migratory inflows and outflows, for example EU citizens leaving Britain, and British citizens in the EU repatriating themselves.

Be much better to do what the electorate elected them to do.

There were a few parties that proposed PR, but they didn't get elected. So the future result will be lots more Tory governments and hopefully an end to the silly lefty bias we have had for too many years now. :hihi::hihi::love::love:

• 3 months later...

The Libs have been poaching Labour members too. Although a lot joined Labour after Corbyn threw his hat in the ring, quite a few let their memberships lapse.

Even a Corbyn led Labour party couldn't possibly lose a Stoke by-election though.

Although I wouldn't rule anything out in this political climate, Labour losing Stoke central would be absolutely disasterous for them. It has never been anything but labour since it was created in 1950.

In the Richmond Park byelection Labours Christian Wolmar received 1,515 votes.

In 2015, 1 year earlier, Labours Sachin Patel received 7,296 votes.

Edited by El Cid