The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

We need another John Smith not a granny smith like we have now.

But would John Smith have won it for Labour in 1997? There was a massive change in the shape and style of the party after his sad death and Blair becoming PM?

Its easy now to mock and dismiss New Labour, but I think that's what won it in 1997.

From Wiki:

Tony Blair, Smith's successor as Labour leader, was highly popular and an effective campaigner and won a landslide victory in the 1997 general election. Smith's biographer, Mark Stuart, claimed that Smith could have won Labour a victory on a scale similar to that achieved by Blair because of the combination of the Black Wednesday debacle and Conservative divisions over Europe since 1992.

Stuart argues that the lack of a "Blair effect" would have meant that the Conservative Party would have held slightly over 200 seats (rather than the 165 it actually won) in the House of Commons, leaving the Conservatives in a position similar to that of Labour after the 1983 election.

Edited by alchresearch

I find it hard to take anything an opposition politician says seriously.

They're not in power, they don't have to backup any of the wild claims they make whatsoever.

Weren't they ranting on about energy prices the other day??

As the Lib Dems learnt to their cost. If they thought they'd one day be in a position of power perhaps they wouldn't have made such unfeasible claims, which came back to bite them..

I find it hard to take anything an opposition politician says seriously.

They're not in power, they don't have to backup any of the wild claims they make whatsoever.

Weren't they ranting on about energy prices the other day??

Talking about wild claims....I recall Osborne ranting about getting the debt cleared in five years, and he managed to double it :hihi:

Talking about wild claims....I recall Osborne ranting about getting the debt cleared in five years, and he managed to double it :hihi:

Care to provide the source where it says Osborne was going to clear the debt in 5 years? I don't remember him ever saying anything like that, as that would be completely impossible.

Perhaps you mean the deficit, which he did want to clear - but then that hasn't doubled, indeed it has been significantly reduced.

Care to provide the source where it says Osborne was going to clear the debt in 5 years? I don't remember him ever saying anything like that, as that would be completely impossible.

Perhaps you mean the deficit, which he did want to clear - but then that hasn't doubled, indeed it has been significantly reduced.

i remember him saying that, and it was impossible.....as he found out :hihi::hihi::hihi:

i remember him saying that, and it was impossible.....as he found out :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Are you honestly claiming that you remember George Osborne saying that he was going to clear the national debt in 5 years?

Which such a massive claim such as that, I'm sure there would be numerous news articles about it - care to post one? I think you will struggle to do so, and suggest you perhaps pay a little closer attention to the news in the future.

He claimed to be able to clear the deficit - not the debt.

Are you honestly claiming that you remember George Osborne saying that he was going to clear the national debt in 5 years?

Which such a massive claim such as that, I'm sure there would be numerous news articles about it - care to post one? I think you will struggle to do so, and suggest you perhaps pay a little closer attention to the news in the future.

He claimed to be able to clear the deficit - not the debt.

no, i am quite sure, :hihi::hihi: i will have a look later for you :hihi::hihi: