The end of the Labour party

Where will Labour be a year from now?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Labour be a year from now?

• Intact with Jeremy Corbyn in charge
    • Intact with somebody else in charge
    • Split with Corbyn running the remains of Labour
    • Split with Corbyn running a break-away party
    • The matter will still be unresolved
    • The whole party will collapse
    • Something I haven't thought of

A mixed bag of things, but on a social level very much minimal interference whilst protecting people and on a government level as little interference as well as is needed to achieve aim 1. For me it's much more about social freedom than government ones. The Tories legalised gay marriage because it was the 'right' time socially to do it. Labour or anyone bar UKIP would have done the same if they'd been elected. I'm not taking anything away from them for doing so and TBH I was slightly surprised they did as history the Tories are more linked to the church than other parties.

I've not said Labour are liberal, they are far from it, but the Greens most definitely are. They most definitely do want a smaller, lower cost government (we aren't talking welfare state here), in fact the only area I'd say the Greens are even vaguely authoritarian on are environmental policies.

You could be more wrong. No government would be more controlling than a Green one. We can both come up with a variety of ways they would add law in the name of the environment. They're also very much for high taxes.

Where would they remove law?

I've not said Labour are liberal, they are far from it, but the Greens most definitely are. They most definitely do want a smaller, lower cost government (we aren't talking welfare state here), in fact the only area I'd say the Greens are even vaguely authoritarian on are environmental policies.

The Greens would be the most controlling party going. Unreasoning ideology and the ability to shoehorn the environment into everything would guarantee it.

Thatcher was closer to a Liberal than you think. Don't mix up Liberals with LibDems..... The Conservatives generally speaking are considered to be a right wing (economicaly) liberal party.

I'm not. The LibDems are probably the most liberal mainsteam party we have by some way. People who think libertarian means no rules or no governments are way off. That's anarchy and anyone who wants that is welcome to setup their own island in the Atlantic and re-enact Lord of the Flies, but there is a difference between a government that restricts us and one who supports us. The Tories have brought in some of the most controlling and restrictive laws in the world. I'm not even exaggerating here, and this is my particular field of work...that is not liberal. Not even close.

---------- Post added 10-03-2017 at 15:31 ----------

You could be more wrong. No government would be more controlling than a Green one. We can both come up with a variety of ways they would add law in the name of the environment. They're also very much for high taxes.

Where would they remove law?

So you completely disagree with this?

https://www.politicalcompass.org/uk2015

I'm not. The LibDems are probably the most liberal mainsteam party we have by some way. People who think libertarian means no rules or no governments are way off. That's anarchy and anyone who wants that is welcome to setup their own island in the Atlantic and re-enact Lord of the Flies, but there is a difference between a government that restricts us and one who supports us. The Tories have brought in some of the most controlling and restrictive laws in the world. I'm not even exaggerating here, and this is my particular field of work...that is not liberal. Not even close.

---------- Post added 10-03-2017 at 15:31 ----------

So you completely disagree with this?

https://www.politicalcompass.org/uk2015

Yes.

The political compass is about being socially conservative or socially progressive.

In the US, the term "liberal" is code for social progressive.

The greens are socially progressive but highly controlling of lifestyle. That's not liberal.

Something UKIP oppose. I'm wondering if the Tories got more liberal after the backwards thinking ones joined UKIP?

We need to distinguish between "liberal" and progressive. In the US the former is code for the latter, but there is a world of difference. The above is a perfect example.

---------- Post added 10-03-2017 at 21:30 ----------

Conservative lead now 19%.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/03/10/voting-intention-conservatives-44-labour-25-8-9-ma/

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. The far left is now at war with the other far left. One group of 1970s communist lunatics against another. Hard to contain the laughter over here.

where is the far left,? your starting to believe your own nonsense, and whom are these communists of which you speak?