Do the French have control of their own borders?

I think this is certainly part of the picture. The no-ID principle that exists here is making it a lot easier to disappear. Add the practically non-existent civilian registry, outside of the voters register and it becomes even easier.

Are you of the view that there's nothing to be lost by having a national ID card, and being required to produce by the police without cause?

Are you of the view that there's nothing to be lost by having a national ID card, and being required to produce by the police without cause?

a national ID card that is carried at all times is a very good idea, without one you would be detained, if you have nothing to be worried about you have nothing to fear from an ID card.

As someone who grew up in a country where that not only is the law but is also the norm, I am indeed of that view.

There are hundreds of reasons, but the most significant in my view is that it is more effective than spending tens of billions on security services, that are mostly excluded from public oversight, and creating laws, limiting civil liberties and human rights, just to 'keep the population safe'.