Fed up of hit and run/bump merchants

I do this too wherever possible. Although there have been times where no matter how empty the car park is, someone will avoid the acres of space and park right next to it. I call it Lonely Car Syndrome :roll:

You're correct.

I parked in a supermarket car park last week which was quite empty. I parked almost as far away from the store as possible, with literally dozens of empty spaces round me.

When I came back, there were still dozens of empty spaces around me. Except for the one on the driver's side, where a crappy, matt red, million year old Micra had been parked literally 10 inches from my driver's door... Why do people do this for crying out loud...

I have had aa better experience. A small shop near me had one of its vans bump into my car parked on a side street once. They left me full details. I went to the shop and they wanted to sort it privately, but I insisted they deal with my insurance company. Turns out, the replace the small reflector on my bumper was going to cost over £1000. They were not too impressed but did the right thing in the first place.

One thing to remember, Private CCTV is there for the owner and not for you and in most cases they will not want to help you. Ive heard of many people in similar situations as the OP and even companies like Tesco's etc will refuse to help out.

If it's a hit and run on a public road (and this includes publicly accessible car parks) then the police will request the CCTV and the private owners are much less likely to refuse then.

You can also request any cctv footage you are in:

https://www.gov.uk/request-cctv-footage-of-yourself

Now depending on how liberally the shop interprets the time you are in it (perhaps its easier to give you the whole tape, than to extract the small part you are visible in it...), you might catch the offender.

You're correct.

I parked in a supermarket car park last week which was quite empty. I parked almost as far away from the store as possible, with literally dozens of empty spaces round me.

When I came back, there were still dozens of empty spaces around me. Except for the one on the driver's side, where a crappy, matt red, million year old Micra had been parked literally 10 inches from my driver's door... Why do people do this for crying out loud...

What - drive a 'crappy, matt red, million year old Micra' ?

Possibly because that's maybe all they can afford ? A set of wheels for getting from A to B.

Parked exactly 10 inches from you car - did you get your ruler out ?

Get over yourself - you car snob you :lol:

Edited by Daven

Does anyone think the police will do anything, if they caught him would i have to small claims court?

It is a criminal offence. They will do something if they can find out who damaged your car...how much effort they put into that....

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoring-features/bumped-a-parked-car-and-hoped-nobody-saw-heres-why-you-should-never-dent-and-run-11363995980470

Edited by Santo

You're correct.

I did exactly the same. The pillock still managed to hit my car while we were in the shop.Luckily a young man collecting the trolleys saw him do it and gave me his name and address as a potential witness. When I challenged the bloke about it he still denied it til I told him I had a witness. Then he owned up and his insurance paid for it.

It was still a pain getting it sorted, all through somebody who couldn't drive into a 50 yard wide space.