Single speed / fixie gears

So thinking of trying a single speed conversion out on my commuter. Just wondering what ratios people have tried in Sheffield? I ride around 20mph on the flat quicker if I'm in a rush over a short distance but then of course there's the hills... What's common? What's considered big? 46/18 is a combination I've heard of.

In the meantime I'm doing a respray job on the frame. Just need to grow a beard...

They are a lot lighter with all the cogs you don't need and also they need very little maintenance as parts last forever. They are simple. No more clunked gears. No more snapped gear cables. No more chains coming off. They are also fashionable and cool which means I'll get women chasing after me and things like that.

Edited by TimmyR

As a Dutchman I speak from personal preference and experience, single speed is great for shorter distances without too much in the way of hills, much lower maintenance required and generally a lot sturdier so fewer breakdowns. I would also have it with the 'pedal back ' brake, if that is an option in the UK? In terms of ratios I would discuss it with your bikeshop and see what they advice?

46 18 gives you a gear ratio of 2.6.

Typically racing bikes have ratios of 1.2 to 4.8. Compact chain ring 50/34 with an 11-32 cassette will give you a range of 1.1-4.6. With an 11-23 cassette the ratio is 1.5-4.6.

I can ride 18-20 mph on the flat with around a 3.6 ratio. I can ride hills easily with a ratio of 1.7. You're always limited by a fixie.

46 18 gives you a gear ratio of 2.6.

Typically racing bikes have ratios of 1.2 to 4.8. Compact chain ring 50/34 with an 11-32 cassette will give you a range of 1.1-4.6. With an 11-23 cassette the ratio is 1.5-4.6.

I can ride 18-20 mph on the flat with around a 3.6 ratio. I can ride hills easily with a ratio of 1.7. You're always limited by a fixie.

This is my fear. I'm going to try riding in one gear for a couple of days to see if it's feasible. I'd find it more annoying not being able to ride quick enough on the flat than anything else.

Turns out I mean 46 16 not 18 so is more like 2.8

Edited by TimmyR

This is my fear. I'm going to try riding in one gear for a couple of days to see if it's feasible. I'd find it more annoying not being able to ride quick enough on the flat than anything else.

I can tell you from experience on my Brompton with an equivalent ratio of 2.3 the top speed is limited but I wouldn't want to go any higher for the hills. It's got 2 gears and the bottom one is 1.7 ratio. That copes fine with some fairly steep hills.

You can see/compare the ratios here:

http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios