Mrs May, Hero of the Brexiters.

Full nativist policies steam ahead. Expect an upsurge in hate crimes in the coming weeks.

'Nativists' - the latest lazy cliche to describe working class voters worried about mass immigration (similar to other sneering euphemisms such as 'Essex man (cf. Chakrabarti) or 'White Van Man'. Still, they are probably a slight improvement on last year's pejorative labels, such as 'knuckle draggers' or 'Chavs'.

'Nativists' - the latest lazy cliche to describe working class voters worried about mass immigration (similar to other sneering euphemisms such as 'Essex man (cf. Chakrabarti) or 'White Van Man'. Still, they are probably a slight improvement on last year's pejorative labels, such as 'knuckle draggers' or 'Chavs'.
I suggest that you acquaint yourself with an English dictionary.

Nothing remotely modern or 'latest' about this adjective: it dates back to the 1800s.

Nativist: noun. 1. the policy of protecting the interests of native inhabitants against those of immigrants. 2. the policy or practice of preserving or reviving an indigenous culture.

Sincerely,

Your friendly resident SF foreigner, with English as his 3rd language :)

Nothing remotely modern or 'latest' about this adjective: it dates back to the 1800s.

Nativist: noun. 1. the policy of protecting the interests of native inhabitants against those of immigrants. 2. the policy or practice of preserving or reviving an indigenous culture.

Sincerely,

I thought it was your second.

Very impressive! :hihi:

Trust nobody apart from UKIP to deliver the REAL brexit, the conservatives are to far left these days to deliver anything like this country needs, the only way to save this country from the fast sinking extreme leftist state that is the EU is UKIP and not Mrs may !

Trust nobody apart from UKIP to deliver the REAL brexit, the conservatives are to far left these days to deliver anything like this country needs, the only way to save this country from the fast sinking extreme leftist state that is the EU is UKIP and not Mrs may !

This is why im now a UKIP voter . Id been a Tory voter since my first vote at 18 , but i dont like how they have shuffled over to the left

Unfortunately it is not about what you want, it is what is best for the country.

That is what it is supposed to be, but the reality is that it's what the govt believe the majority want, hence the lurch to the far right concerning immigration. They have taken the EU Ref vote to be a single issue for the electorate - immigration - all the rhetoric that is coming from Rudd, May, Davis etc., is about curbing immigration, (severely) reducing immigration, effectively shutting up shop to Johnny Foreigner. Rudd's proposed policy of getting firms to disclose the number of non-British workers in their employ is so reminiscent of a policy imposed by another govt around 80 years ago it's scary. It's one step away from having to wear some kind of ID or badge to denote who is non-British. The UK seems to be being driven by an agenda that, if it is not racist, it is sailing oh so close to it.

People, we have a new enemy; it is an enemy within; and that enemy is 'immigrant'. It's a loose definition and covers anyone who doesn't 'look' British. Vigilante groups will trawl (troll?) the streets demanding of anyone who doesn't look British to prove that they are or 'get the <removed> back to your own country'.

The time machine is real and we, the UK, are travelling back in time, circa 1930's....

Edited by nikki-red
Masked swearing

This is why im now a UKIP voter . Id been a Tory voter since my first vote at 18 , but i dont like how they have shuffled over to the left

Try telling the "modern" left that the tories are now left !!! It seems to be in fashion to be far left these days, some of these people don't even realise how far their lent over they've been filled with so much propaganda from places like the huffington post and the morning star. I'm sure they'll say the same thing about the right and daily mail etc but I don't read the daily mail to realise how far this country is down the hole I use my eyes and ears while walking/travelling around the country.

---------- Post added 07-10-2016 at 06:09 ----------

I've never voted Tory and my family never has apart from my late grandad, I've voted UKIP all my life unfortunately though I'm the probably the last generation to do so as the young of this country have been indoctrinated by mostly lefty teachers and will probably all vote labour/lib dems/greens.

---------- Post added 07-10-2016 at 06:12 ----------

That is what it is supposed to be, but the reality is that it's what the govt believe the majority want, hence the lurch to the far right concerning immigration. They have taken the EU Ref vote to be a single issue for the electorate - immigration - all the rhetoric that is coming from Rudd, May, Davis etc., is about curbing immigration, (severely) reducing immigration, effectively shutting up shop to Johnny Foreigner. Rudd's proposed policy of getting firms to disclose the number of non-British workers in their employ is so reminiscent of a policy imposed by another govt around 80 years ago it's scary. It's one step away from having to wear some kind of ID or badge to denote who is non-British. The UK seems to be being driven by an agenda that, if it is not racist, it is sailing oh so close to it.

People, we have a new enemy; it is an enemy within; and that enemy is 'immigrant'. It's a loose definition and covers anyone who doesn't 'look' British. Vigilante groups will trawl (troll?) the streets demanding of anyone who doesn't look British to prove that they are or 'get the <removed> back to your own country'.

The time machine is real and we, the UK, are travelling back in time, circa 1930's....

Hardly a step towards nazism by wanting to curb immigration is it !!

Edited by nikki-red
Masked swearing

I thought it was your second.
Depends how much I practice my German week-in week-out...and I've been practicing it a fair bit lately :)

Very impressive! :hihi:
Thank you kindly! :hihi:

Hardly a step towards nazism by wanting to curb immigration is it !!
Depends how a government goes about curbing immigration, doesn't it?

I mean, it's not as if May requested businesses to list non-EU employees during her tenure as Home Secretary for the last 6 years, when she was already in charge of curbing immigration. Is it?

Edited by L00b

Sincerely,

Well, your English language skills still require some work on them, particularly with regard to comprehension. I was clearly referring to the contemporary use of the pejorative term 'Nativism' in contemporary discourse by the likes of Douglas Carswell and certain Guardian columnists. This is where I suspect you came across it. I am perfectly aware that the term has a long genealogy, but it is only recently that it has been added to the lexicon of abuse by the sneering classes in contemporary politics.

---------- Post added 07-10-2016 at 11:35 ----------

Depends how much I practice my German week-in week-out...and I've been practicing it a fair bit lately :)

You are obviously familiar with the term schadenfreude, since virtually all of your posts on this forum could well be defined by this.

You obviously have a serious case of 'Brexit schadenfreude', i.e. a syndrome whereby 'Remainers' pore over the news every day looking for bad news stories about the consequences of Brexit (whilst ignoring or seeking to explain away any positive stories).

Edited by NigelFargate

Well, your English language skills still require some work on them, particularly with regard to comprehension. I was clearly referring to the contemporary use of the pejorative term 'Nativism' in contemporary discourse by the likes of Douglas Carswell and certain Guardian columnists. This is where I suspect you came across it. I am perfectly aware that the term has a long genealogy, but it is only recently that it has been added to the lexicon of abuse by the sneering classes in contemporary politics.
You suspect wrong.

I use the term fully within its dictionary definition, and there is nothing 'pejorative' about using a term as a qualifier or descriptive according to its dictionary meaning.

If you feel that it is pejorative however...maybe it says more about your perception of the political debate than mine.

You are obviously familiar with the term schadenfreude,
I am very familiar with this term indeed, and...

since virtually all of your posts on this forum could well be defined by this.
...only since June 24, and only in relation to the political arena.

Though I gave posters plenty of forewarning, and they have been -and remain- entirely free to put me on ignore.

You obviously have a serious case of 'Brexit schadenfreude', i.e. a syndrome whereby 'Remainers' pore over the news every day looking for bad news stories about the consequences of Brexit (whilst ignoring or seeking to explain away any positive stories).
Rest assured that I shan't seek any treatment for it anytime soon. Here, have some more :thumbsup: Edited by L00b