Ebay item withdrawn after I paid.

It happened to me mont ago, I bought Nintendo 3ds for 30£ from some guy from Manchester.

Ebay whithdrawn item, I opened paypal dispute, and after 2 weeks they refund me. It was a scam.

All the stuff ive had from China has been fine.

I've been very pleased with my dealings with Chinese companies on eBay. I have only bought low value items, just in case, but on the odd occasions something has gone wrong, the after sales service has been excellent. They appear to be looking to protect their 5* ratings.

PayPal are good at refunds in my experience. You will get your money back eventually :)
Unless things have changed (-dramatically), Paypal only refund (-eventually, assuming you win the case) if you bought <whatever> with a credit card, through the credit card's own chargeback mechanism.

If you bought <whatever> with Paypal funds (e.g. earlier buyer payments for your own auctions/sales that you kept 'within' Paypal), no refund. That's certainly been my experience, even with a cast-iron case in my favour.

I don't know whether that also applies to payments through debits from a bank account registered with Paypal (I've never enabled and am never enabling that facility).

Unless things have changed (-dramatically), Paypal only refund (-eventually, assuming you win the case) if you bought <whatever> with a credit card, through the credit card's own chargeback mechanism.

If you bought <whatever> with Paypal funds (e.g. earlier buyer payments for your own auctions/sales that you kept 'within' Paypal), no refund. That's certainly been my experience, even with a cast-iron case in my favour.

I don't know whether that also applies to payments through debits from a bank account registered with Paypal (I've never enabled and am never enabling that facility).

I run a business selling aerials / brackets / poles etc, mainly Online but still up to a third phone up to order. We use the PayPal shopping cart for historical / technical reasons* so I know fair amount about how they operate. We also tried selling on E Bay for 6 months last year (we packed it in, too much trouble, it`s aimed at buyers wanting stuff as cheap as possible) so I know a bit about that too.

Basically I`d be very surprised if you don`t get your money back one way or another. PayPal give sellers a very hard time in disputes with buyers, it`s (unfairly ! ) biased in favour of the buyer, and PayPal will just chargeback the seller if it`s not resolved. I take it you`ve also contacted E Bay to inform them that you never received the item ? In my experience E Bay are even more heavily biased in favour of the buyer then PayPal are, far too much actually (from the sellers point of view)........ Just out of interest, what % positive feedback did the seller have ?

* Specifically that the person (and a fine job he did too ! ) helping me first write the website used the PayPal shopping cart and I don`t know how to integrate any other shopping basket ! Furthermore no web designers have ever been interested in helping me change it !

Edited by Justin Smith

I recently bought an item as a "paypal guest" which meant i paid directly from a debit card( i don't know if they have chargeback) the deal went sour similar to the op and after 10 days i got a full refund back to my bank account via the debit card.

I also bought an item that didn't arrive in May,paid from paypal funds direct, after the usual discussions with the seller i received a full refund back to my paypal pot.

They do leave it a long time though to refund the money imho.

Basically I`d be very surprised if you don`t get your money back one way or another. PayPal give sellers a very hard time in disputes with buyers, it`s (unfairly ! ) biased in favour of the buyer, and PayPal will just chargeback the seller if it`s not resolved. I take it you`ve also contacted E Bay to inform them that you never received the item ? In my experience E Bay are even more heavily biased in favour of the buyer then PayPal are, far too much actually (from the sellers point of view)........ Just out of interest, what % positive feedback did the seller have ?
I can't remember the details, it was a 'long' time back (2 or 3 years at least).

I'm not accusing you of teaching me to suck eggs, but...put it that way, my eBay (uk) account is 17 years old [my eBay (com) account is older than that] and I've done about as much buying as selling over the years (though arguably, very little selling for the past few years, since eBay/Paypal skewed the balance of power so much towards buyers and, basically, 'went Amazon') ;)

So I'm pretty confident the item and the seller's stats will all have looked kosher at the time of bidding/B-I-Now.

What I do distinctly recall, because it was the first time the situation ever happened to me (and a lesson I needed to learn only the once: I've never since left a positive balance in my Paypal account for any length of time), is that the outcome of the case was Paypal telling me "sorry, we can't do anything, because you used funds we can't invoke the credit card's chargeback" (so them's your apples).

I never got the item, I never got my money back. It wasn't a lot IIRC (probably around £30-£40). All the same, I've never spent more on eBay through Paypal since, either (I don't ever spend more on eBay through Paypal, than I'm prepared to write off as a total loss; big ticket items on there, I go for local-only with cash on collection (same for my few sales); most of the rest of the time, Amazon which, often as not, is cheaper than eBay like-for-like and with better return and guarantee terms).

I also bought an item that didn't arrive in May,paid from paypal funds direct, after the usual discussions with the seller i received a full refund back to my paypal pot.

They do leave it a long time though to refund the money imho.

Then, happily, things may have changed.

Still, once bitten, twice still shy here :)

Edited by L00b

I can't remember the details, it was a 'long' time back (2 or 3 years at least).

I'm not accusing you of teaching me to suck eggs, but...put it that way, my eBay (uk) account is 17 years old [my eBay (com) account is older than that] and I've done about as much buying as selling over the years (though arguably, very little selling for the past few years, since eBay/Paypal skewed the balance of power so much towards buyers and, basically, 'went Amazon') ;)

So I'm pretty confident the item and the seller's stats will all have looked kosher at the time of bidding/B-I-Now.

What I do distinctly recall, because it was the first time the situation ever happened to me (and a lesson I needed to learn only the once: I've never since left a positive balance in my Paypal account for any length of time), is that the outcome of the case was Paypal telling me "sorry, we can't do anything, because you used funds we can't invoke the credit card's chargeback" (so them's your apples).

I never got the item, I never got my money back. It wasn't a lot IIRC (probably around £30-£40). All the same, I've never spent more on eBay through Paypal since, either (I don't ever spend more on eBay through Paypal, than I'm prepared to write off as a total loss; big ticket items on there, I go for local-only with cash on collection (same for my few sales); most of the rest of the time, Amazon which, often as not, is cheaper than eBay like-for-like and with better return and guarantee terms).

Then, happily, things may have changed.

Still, once bitten, twice still shy here :)

How else do you think Elon Musk funds his Teslas and exploding rockets....?

I've seen Paypal hoover tens of thousands out of a linked debit account. Ooops sorry. You can get it back in 90 days. Perhaps. That's the investigation time. What you mean you need to pay mortgage and eat?

As far as I know the bank swallowed that cost eventually and Paypal still never repayed a five figure sum.