Ebay item withdrawn after I paid.

Unless things have changed (-dramatically), Paypal only refund (-eventually, assuming you win the case) if you bought <whatever> with a credit card, through the credit card's own chargeback mechanism.

If you bought <whatever> with Paypal funds (e.g. earlier buyer payments for your own auctions/sales that you kept 'within' Paypal), no refund. That's certainly been my experience, even with a cast-iron case in my favour.

I don't know whether that also applies to payments through debits from a bank account registered with Paypal (I've never enabled and am never enabling that facility).

Not in my experience. I use a debit card via paypal and have received refunds in similar situations. Refunds independent of anything they do to get the money back. I didnt have exsiting paypal funds.

I recently won:hihi: an auction for a mobile phone on EBAY paying straight away through pay pal.

Soon after I received an email telling me that the seller had withdrawn item after auction finished and to ask him for a refund ,which I did .

Paypal showed that a refund was pending whatever that meant , then two days later the refund was shown as not now in force due to a dispute with the seller.

I emailed seller and he just replied to get in touch with Ebay .

This is like trying to thread fog , I put in a dispute they told me to wait six days , I phoned them and the person who answered was unhelpful saying they could not hear me etc..

Any thoughts, what happens now ,will the seller keep my money ,is it a common thing for sellers to withdraw after the item has sold maybe because they have not got as much as they thought for an item .

Is ebay worth the hassle.

RING eBay - my mate recently had to open a case and once they found the number they were very helpful.

I recently won:hihi: an auction for a mobile phone on EBAY paying straight away through pay pal.

Soon after I received an email telling me that the seller had withdrawn item after auction finished and to ask him for a refund ,which I did .

Paypal showed that a refund was pending whatever that meant , then two days later the refund was shown as not now in force due to a dispute with the seller.

I emailed seller and he just replied to get in touch with Ebay .

This is like trying to thread fog , I put in a dispute they told me to wait six days , I phoned them and the person who answered was unhelpful saying they could not hear me etc..

Any thoughts, what happens now ,will the seller keep my money ,is it a common thing for sellers to withdraw after the item has sold maybe because they have not got as much as they thought for an item .

Is ebay worth the hassle.

This seems to be increasingly common. I and a few folks I know have bought goods from dealers on Ebay. Goods that never arrived. In my case it was a computer hard drive.

With hindsight the dealers feedback looks bogus with identical comments from several supposed buyers. But that is another issue.

The annoying part was a few days after I bought my hard drive Ebay delisted the item and removed the dealer's ebay membership which made dealing with things rather difficult. I also had to go through the full procedure of reporting the item not received. As the delivery time was quoted at several weeks this couldn't even begin until the final delivery date had passed. Even then ebay required me to set up dialogue with this non existent dealer. I got my money back but it took 6 weeks. 6 weeks when I could have been buying parts from another seller.

Edited by pacifica

About three weeks ago I sold something on eBay. The money went into my PayPal account. eBay took there cut for selling it but my bank account has received nothing yet. Do they hang on to your money until you get for it. Does anyone know ?

Its probably sat in your paypal fund. I have to manually transfer money to my bank.

How else do you think Elon Musk funds his Teslas and exploding rockets....?

I've seen Paypal hoover tens of thousands out of a linked debit account. Ooops sorry. You can get it back in 90 days. Perhaps. That's the investigation time. What you mean you need to pay mortgage and eat?

As far as I know the bank swallowed that cost eventually and Paypal still never repayed a five figure sum.

I would have thought tens of thousands going out of people's accounts would have made national news though.

---------- Post added 02-09-2016 at 14:32 ----------

Its probably sat in your paypal fund. I have to manually transfer money to my bank.

O'k Willman. It does say it can take up to three weeks which is about what it is now so I will give it until tomorrow and chase it up if nothing goes in by then. Many thank's.

About three weeks ago I sold something on eBay. The money went into my PayPal account. eBay took there cut for selling it but my bank account has received nothing yet. Do they hang on to your money until you beg for it. Does anyone know ?

The money will sit in your Paypal account forever, unless you trigger the transfer to your bank account. Even then (I think) it takes 10 days for it to happen.

On the odd occasion I do sell something on ebay, it's very rare I actually transfer the money, and it usually ends up being the purchase funds for something else I buy on ebay.

That's one of the reasons I don't like Paypal, it seems I never see any actual benefit from selling something in terms of cash!