Ebay item withdrawn after I paid.

The money will sit in your Paypal account forever, unless you trigger the transfer to your bank account. Even then (I think) it takes 10 days for it to happen.
3 days max for me, but then it's a € account, and Paypal Europe (which administers Paypal payments for eBay UK activity) is Luxembourg-based, so maybe SEPA speeds things up.

On the odd occasion I do sell something on ebay, it's very rare I actually transfer the money, and it usually ends up being the purchase funds for something else I buy on ebay.

That's one of the reasons I don't like Paypal, it seems I never see any actual benefit from selling something in terms of cash!

Sell on a "cash on collection only" basis, problem solved. You'd severely reduced your catchment of course...but at least you'd get to see the cash :D

[and yes, you can perfectly well set up auctions on that basis without falling foul of eBay's T&Cs - been doing it for years myself].

The wife used to sell on Ebay and came to the conclusion there were far more dishonest buyers than dishonest sellers. Ebay and Paypal favour buyers rather than sellers. The OP will get his or her money back from Paypal.

If someone is selling on Ebay, don't accept a payment via Paypal if the buyer is collecting the item, because it is too easy for dishonest buyers to scam both Paypal and good honest genuine sellers.

Unless things have changed (-dramatically), Paypal only refund (-eventually, assuming you win the case) if you bought <whatever> with a credit card, through the credit card's own chargeback mechanism.

If you bought <whatever> with Paypal funds (e.g. earlier buyer payments for your own auctions/sales that you kept 'within' Paypal), no refund. That's certainly been my experience, even with a cast-iron case in my favour.

I don't know whether that also applies to payments through debits from a bank account registered with Paypal (I've never enabled and am never enabling that facility).

Not sure if you're talking about S75 of the CCA in the first paragraph, but this is something to be aware of: since you're not paying the supplier directly but rather paypal who then pay the supplier, your rights under S75 may not apply:-

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act

"Payments through an agent or third party

It's not unusual for a business taking payment to be acting as an agent for the actual supplier. In this circumstance, Section 75 may not apply and you may not be able to claim against the credit card provider."

Which is the main reason I don't use eBay or Paypal.

The money will sit in your Paypal account forever, unless you trigger the transfer to your bank account. Even then (I think) it takes 10 days for it to happen.

On the odd occasion I do sell something on ebay, it's very rare I actually transfer the money, and it usually ends up being the purchase funds for something else I buy on ebay.

That's one of the reasons I don't like Paypal, it seems I never see any actual benefit from selling something in terms of cash!

Well Pete you can't blame paypal for the fact you buy stuff and use the money in your paypal account.

If you want the money stop spending:D

Not sure if you're talking about S75 of the CCA in the first paragraph, but this is something to be aware of: since you're not paying the supplier directly but rather paypal who then pay the supplier, your rights under S75 may not apply
I wasn't aware of that provision at the time, it was not quoted to me by PP...but I doubt that the CCA would have been relevant anyway: the transaction was with a non-EU seller and my PP is not tied to a UK account/card.

PP explained to me (in writing, by email) that the reason they couldn't issue a refund is because the purchase was not made with a card having a chargeback mechanism, on which they hinged their own refunding at the time (but presumably, and thankfully, not anymore in view of others' posts -perhaps as a result of legislative updates since).

My logical deduction at the time was "OK, so don't ever keep any balance in the PP account, whereby any and all future PP payments will be via card, and chargeback-able in case of problem" :)

I seldom use it nowadays. And deliberately try to keep 'linking' of financials/card info with any sites howsoever to an absolute minimum (see e.g. my rant about xbox live wanting my card details to download a free game in the SF Gamer's sub-forum ;)). IIRC, I have two such links (Amazon and Paypal, deffo) and that's it. No link to Apple, to Google or anything like that.

Edited by L00b