Obese patients face NHS surgery ban to save money

Only when the government stop facilitating people who smoke, abuse drugs or alcohol or choose to eat themselves into obesity will these people take personal responsibilty for the harm they are doing to their bodies.

The government had the opportunity just a couple of weeks ago to take proper action over childhood obesity but chose to effectively do nothing. They previously chose to do nothing to reduce alcohol use despite good evidence of how selective price controls can work. The food and drink industry lobbies governments intensely.

While it's easy for people to lay into their favourite whipping boys whether that is smokers or obese people or cyclists, if we accept the rationing of health care on the basis of moralising and deciding who is deserving, then we should consider that nearly all of us do things we know are unhealthy or fail to do things that are healthy, so most of us could ultimately be denied treatment on that basis.

And also, while this only covers elective treatments at present, if we accept the principle then we can expect it to be applied to emergency treatment at a future point because the NHS will always be looking to save money.

But rationing of health care already happens. You can't get a liver transplant while you're still an alcoholic, so I don't see that this is very different. If anything the surgeries they are talking about are a lot less important than a new liver.

Add to that nose jobs and boob jobs and the NHS will soon be in credit.

The Government can't stop childhood obesity - only parents can.

The food industry can, although I'm not claiming parents can't. One of the key measures in the government's childhood obesity plan is to ask food and drink companies to cut down on sugar and fat. Asking them to reduce their cheapest ingredients thus cutting their profits. That's going to work, right? Nothing in the plan to curb advertising and marketing of unhealthy food to kids.

---------- Post added 03-09-2016 at 11:31 ----------

But rationing of health care already happens. You can't get a liver transplant while you're still an alcoholic, so I don't see that this is very different. If anything the surgeries they are talking about are a lot less important than a new liver.

I know, I'm just saying be cautious. Don't assume that what's only going to affect other people now won't affect you later.

Only when the government stop facilitating people who smoke, abuse drugs or alcohol or choose to eat themselves into obesity will these people take personal responsibilty for the harm they are doing to their bodies.

Why? Why cant people take personal responsibility for their own bodies at the moment? I'm not sure how it is the government's fault if people choose to smoke or eat loads of junk food.

George Best did.

There's plenty of cash in the NHS,it needs managing correctly,not an easy job but it can be done.

While it's easy for people to lay into their favourite whipping boys whether that is smokers or obese people or cyclists, if we accept the rationing of health care on the basis of moralising and deciding who is deserving, then we should consider that nearly all of us do things we know are unhealthy or fail to do things that are healthy, so most of us could ultimately be denied treatment on that basis.

I agree Bob. If the rationale is that it's the overweight person's "own fault" then where do we stop?

Break your leg playing rugby or football? It's your own fault - no one made you play, it's your own choice. Fall off a mountain? Same thing. Shin splints from jogging? Ditto.

If the health service is getting to the point where it starts to fall apart either we raise taxes to pay for it or we start looking at models of health provision in other countries.