Obese patients face NHS surgery ban to save money

Brilliant and well-principled decision. I applaud the Group for having the courage to implement such a sensible policy which will no doubt be derided by the slovenly layabouts whom it will affect.

Some poor people are more likely to be obese, but we are only talking about a 5/10% difference, the wealthy get obese too.

---------- Post added 03-09-2016 at 15:23 ----------

You seem to think that clinically obese people aren't already under restrictions as to what sort of surgery they can have? If the patient is too big for certain operations, they are considered too much of a risk of death on the operating table. There is a reason they don't give 40 stone people gastric bands for example.

I see no problem in refusing non life threatening operations when the problem can be solved by losing weight at negligible cost to the NHS and a massive benefit to the patient especially when the weight is the cause of the issue in the first place. Why else do you think joint (hip, knee etc) operations are in the 'ban'?

The change in rules is about saving money. Yes I would favour putting fatties in jail, on bread and water, for 6 months; but that would be against their human rights.

Some poor people are more likely to be obese, but we are only talking about a 5/10% difference, the wealthy get obese too.

---------- Post added 03-09-2016 at 15:23 ----------

The change in rules is about saving money. Yes I would favour putting fatties in jail, on bread and water, for 6 months; but that would be against their human rights.

And how come you still see fat people in jail?

No, thinking on, we should ban fat people having surgery - any surgery. Then ugly people should be banned from surgery too.

Besides, gay men need their jabs so they can run around having unprotected sex. Those jabs cost money. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31601042

Medical conditions do exist which cause people to become overweight, and those people cannot help it. They however amount to a very very very small percentage of obese people. Excuses such as an under active thyroid or inheriting 'big bones' from their parents are in the vast majority of cases just that..excuses.

Irrespective of all that a body can only increase in size of it is being fed to much.

Everything else is an excuse

So doctor, my excercise has increased, my calorie intake has decreased by a quarter and, according to the scales this morning I've not lost an ounce.

Any thoughts?

Medical conditions do exist which cause people to become overweight, and those people cannot help it. They however amount to a very very very small percentage of obese people. Excuses such as an under active thyroid or inheriting 'big bones' from their parents are in the vast majority of cases just that..excuses.

I totally agree. Putting weight on is easy (although in my late teens I could eat and drink what ever I liked and not put on an ounce) - shifting it - safely - is much harder. Somebody who had to lose say 2 stone with no exercise in a short time can't be doing it safely.

---------- Post added 03-09-2016 at 16:02 ----------

Haha. Google for photos of fat skeletons.

There are none.

There is no such thing as big boned. Just fat offspring of fat parents

---------- Post added 03-09-2016 at 15:59 ----------

Yes.

Eat even less. Dropping from 4000 calories a day to 3000 is still to much.

Try 1400 a day for a month. You will feel hungry. But you will lose weight

I've dropped to about 1900 from around 2500. If I get to my target weight will I then become really judgemental or do I have to work at it?

I'll ignore your second sentence, as I thought you wanted to talk about things seriously.

Of course it's about saving money, or do you see the extra costs involved in operating on people who will require a riskier operation, longer recovery times and likely to have similar recurring long term health problems as being a sensible approach instead of getting them to be healthier by losing weight?

Are we not allowed to ask obese people to lose weight, or look for cost savings in the NHS anymore without the professionally offended getting on their high horses?