Memories of Eckington

top4718

I grew up in Eckington and was just having a reminisce about things from my chilhood can people remember:

The sandy bottoms

Para Bank

The Planting

The Canners

Ray Walkleys

Morgans

Davey's

Jack Woodheads

Carters Chipshop

Add your own memories/stories.

I grew up in Eckington and was just having a reminisce about things from my chilhood can people remember:

The sandy bottoms

Para Bank

The Planting

The Canners

Ray Walkleys

Morgans

Davey's

Jack Woodheads

Carters Chipshop

Add your own memories/stories.

I'm not from Eckington but worked (16 years) for a company that was, well since 1967, located at the 'Manor House' on Church Street : Simpkin Machin.

I'm not from Eckington but worked (16 years) for a company that was, well since 1967, located at the 'Manor House' on Church Street : Simpkin Machin.

Yeah I remember Simpkin & Machin, never knew much about what they did though.

Edited by top4718

Yeah I remember Simpkin & Machin, never knew much about what they did though.

They were an Insulation company and basically that was the main office as most of their work was around Sheffield, Rotherham, Chesterfield or north east Derbyshire. The office staff were local -well Killamarsh and Renishaw also.

Baumforth & Garfitt - got our first tele from there. There was also a wallpaper shop - Bradshaws. And two cinemas the "Electra" and what we always referred to as the "bottom" cinema. Courtnalls shop. And not forgetting "the flats" - the road from Renishaw to Eckington, alongside the golf course where the young uns paraded and many courtships started.