Another Honorable Member In The News

I'm not sure that the fact he was sleeping with other men makes it any worse than if he had been sleeping with female prostitutes? It is appalling behaviour for a married man either way.

From a woman's point of view i think it is!

He's married to a woman, who has given birth to his children and all the while he likes to have sex with rentboys :gag:

It's appalling either way you are right but one is easier to stomach than the other.. IMO

He's married to a woman, who has given birth to his children and all the while he likes to have sex with rentboys :gag:

It's appalling either way you are right but one is easier to stomach than the other.. IMO

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that she has known all along about his tendencies and was a beard for him.

Nor would he be the first married man to burst so spectacularly from the closet.

Nor the first MP.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Oaten

Edited by Santo

Yep I've seen that too.

I'll throw in my opinion:

I've no problem if any honourable member wants to indulge themselves with a prostitute, male or female.

However the issue for me is one of conflict of interest. Vaz was/is the chairman of the Home Affairs Select committee which looked into the issue of legalising poppers, which is mentioned in the Vaz news story. Is he the right person for the job if he uses them recreationally? I'll leave that for others to decide.

As far as I'm aware, Vaz has not been hypocritical about sexual issue when voting in the commons - He hasn't moralised about gay people or single mothers like some MPs - think of the back to basics scandal.

Also to bear in mind is John Whittingdale MP who was the Chair of the Media Committee. He used prostitutes & I've no problem with that. However there was felt to be a conflict of interest as he was overseeing press regulation into these matters, and on this issue, 'wasn't minded' to implement the Leveson recommendations in full. Conflict of interest? Once again I'll leave others to decide.

There's an interesting slant on the Whittingdale 'scandal' which is worth considering - https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourbeeb/james-cusick/real-whittingdale-scandal-cover-up-by-press

I care about unsavoury behaviour (legal, on the borders of legal, or illegal) that people who are making laws over me undertake. Even more so for those I may directly vote for. I, and I suspect many others, would be rather less likely to vote for a chap who indulged in group sex with male prostitutes, even worse whilst if he was skirting the bounds of legality with legal highs. Therefore it is in the public interest to publicise such behaviour.

Obviously Vaz is even more worthy of criticism because he`s chairman of the Home Affairs Committee. One really has to wonder what on earth was going through his mind indulging in such behaviour, is he really a fit person to even be an MP ? I think not. His judgement is seriously in question.

Edited by Justin Smith

He's a grubby little sod for sure, and he needs to quit as chair of the home affairs committee - maybe move to the homosexual affairs committee ;)

He's got genuine influence in that committee and there's going to be a fair chance he's done something illegal as more of this story leaks out. But as far as being an MP is concerned is leave that to his constituency party and the good people of Leicester.

I'm not sure that the fact he was sleeping with other men makes it any worse than if he had been sleeping with female prostitutes? It is appalling behaviour for a married man either way.

I have heard it said before, that from a female perspective, being married to a man who has an affair with another male is more devastating than finding out he had an affair with a female.

I'm guessing that is because she hasn't been told, or suspected that her husband is gay or bisexual? Not being obtuse but I genuinely don't know the answer.

---------- Post added 05-09-2016 at 18:28 ----------

I care about unsavoury behaviour (legal, on the borders of legal, or illegal) that people who are making laws over me undertake. Even more so for those I may directly vote for. I, and I suspect many others, would be rather less likely to vote for a chap who indulged in group sex with male prostitutes, even worse whilst if he was skirting the bounds of legality with legal highs. Therefore it is in the public interest to publicise such behaviour.

Obviously Vaz is even more worthy of criticism because he`s chairman of the Home Affairs Committee. One really has to wonder what on earth was going through his mind indulging in such behaviour, is he really a fit person to even be an MP ? I think not. His judgement is seriously in question.

I was listening to the radio yesterday, and one of the contributors was saying that in the 'Westminster bubble' his sexuality is an open secret. I don't know if the mores that are applied in wider society are shared with those who work in the Westminster bubble.

Personally I don't want a saint as an MP, I want them to be human. I want someone with the same flaws as me and everyone else. However I think MPs should strive to uphold higher standards.

On the issue of poppers - I do know that they are widely used amongst many gay men....