Parking which obstructs view of a junction

Who would I approach about a vehicle which is dangerously obstructing the view of a junction? Can I contact the police (101)?

At the entrance to my cul de sac someone has started parking a long wheel based van just to the left of the junction, so it completely blocks the view of the road to the left. This means anyone leaving my road has to inch their vehicle out with no way of knowing if someone is coming along the main road.

With this being a cul de sac there is no other way off our road.

It's only a matter of time before an accident occurs.

There was a car parked there previously which also caused problems, but the van is even worse.

There are no yellow lines, but their parking is causing a dangerous situation. is the driver commiting any kind of offence, and can I do anything about it? :help:

If there isn't double yellow lines there I suppose he's free to park there, even though by the sounds of it its causing problems. This is the mentality of some people.

I don't like to complain, it's only because it is dangerous. It is leaving my neighbours with no other choice than to put themselves in danger every time they drive. I know you should not exit a junction without knowing the road is clear, but otherwise we would just be sat there forever.

I did consider writing them a note, but I don't know how to address the issue in a nice, polite way but also effectively. Any ideas?

---------- Post added 04-09-2016 at 17:48 ----------

I can imagine the thread next week "There's a big van parked on my road and the driver lives the next street down!"

Haha, I don't mind if it is parked a little inconveniently, but the current situation is dangerous. I only drive a few times a week but this is really putting me off using the car because I can't even get off my own road safely. My partner drives daily and commented on it today (the van, not my driving, that is!). We were hoping it was someone just moving in, but it seems to be a permanent fixture.

You're not meant to according to the highway code.

Rule 243

DO NOT stop or park: opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

I thought it was 10m during the night and 20m during the day?

The council only deal with regulations relating to yellow lines.

I don't like to complain, it's only because it is dangerous. It is leaving my neighbours with no other choice than to put themselves in danger every time they drive. I know you should not exit a junction without knowing the road is clear, but otherwise we would just be sat there forever.

I did consider writing them a note, but I don't know how to address the issue in a nice, polite way but also effectively. Any ideas?

---------- Post added 04-09-2016 at 17:48 ----------

Haha, I don't mind if it is parked a little inconveniently, but the current situation is dangerous. I only drive a few times a week but this is really putting me off using the car because I can't even get off my own road safely. My partner drives daily and commented on it today (the van, not my driving, that is!). We were hoping it was someone just moving in, but it seems to be a permanent fixture.

How about a note under the wiper

"You may not realise it, but by parking here it becomes dangerous for people to drive out from XXX road. Please reconsider where you park."

If nothing happens, then phone 101 and report it

In our village cars are parked just before a blind bend such that you have to overtake on the wrong side of the road so that any car coming round the bend too fast will cause an accident.

On one occasion I stopped a police car that was behind me as we approached this hazard.

I got out (blocking the road behind me ) and asked if the police could do anything about this dangerous parking.

The answer was : No there are no yellow lines and it's nothing to do with the police complain to Kent Highways, who won't do anything until there are a number of accidents at this site!

Locals are very careful here BUT stranger and young tearaways are in ignorance or couldn't care a toss.

What made me laugh was a car behind the police car blasted him as he was being held up.