Metropolitan Police authorise use of "Spit Hoods"

I fail to see how incidents that happened over 20 years ago and in some cases 40+ years ago has any bearing on the police you see in the streets trying to arrest a criminal. That kind of mentality is plain stupid.

totally agree, policing was different then, real policing actually in most cases, the odd dodgy incident but on the whole better than today where as now police are hog tied with pc, H&S and red tape bureaucracy.

Yes, spitting on someone is assault.

I would be surprised if someone would spit on a police officer if it would result in being charged. Upon conviction, the offender could face up to a maximum of 6 months in jail for assaulting a police officer and/ or a fine.

So my theory would be that they are seldom charged, so their lax attitude to charging causes this problem. Just a theory.

I would be surprised if someone would spit on a police officer if it would result in being charged. Upon conviction, the offender could face up to a maximum of 6 months in jail for assaulting a police officer and/ or a fine.

So my theory would be that they are seldom charged, so their lax attitude to charging causes this problem. Just a theory.

Here is a thread from a Peeler forum on the subject:

https://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/17871-spitting/

I agree spitting is disgusting, & if anyone gobbed at me I'd be furious. I certainly don't envy the police.

A few posters have questioned why there is mistrust in the police service today, some cite health and safety & PC, red tape gone mad, etc. However, there are some terrible instances where many people have died in police custody, while or after they are restrained.

Yes spit hoods are a good idea. But I do hope that there will be adequate training for our police officers in using them safely. More deaths in custody isn't going to help the police's cause.

What if they are not entitled to UC or JSA? You fine their other half/mum/dad/sibling instead?

Since a weeks wage would include a percentage of what that person would pay his/her rent, housing allowance should be included too, to make things fair ;)