Imperial units are stupid

Are imperial units stupid?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Are imperial units stupid?

• Yes, let's be rid of them
    • Yes, but I like them anyway because I'm strange

What gets me is 'miles per gallon,' when we buy petrol in litres.

No, I buy it in petrol stations.

---------- Post added 08-09-2016 at 16:42 ----------

12 makes a lot of sense for some applications, being divisible by 2,3,4 and 6.

This is why eggs are sold in dozens.

Or it's because hens lay them in 6s or 12s.

---------- Post added 08-09-2016 at 16:43 ----------

I'm trying to tempt him to respond. We've rather destroyed his point.

A decimal one, I presume?

• 2 weeks later...
Hahaha :) Fuel is so dirt cheap in the US it is disgusting!

My brother went on a runabout with a few mates from the soccer-camp they worked for after summer, hired a 'winnebago' and took off, 15 states in 3 weeks, 5000 miles, it cost them less in fuel than a single flight to Vegas (their end-destination) for the four of them would have cost. Ludicrous...

It's not disgusting, it's great. Two years ago we were paying around $3.50 a gallon, still cheap in comparison to your prices. Then all of a sudden we discovered we were producing so much in our own hemisphere that we could stick it to the Middle East, hence the pricing. You can continue selling Aston Martins to the Emirs, we'll soldier on in our little K!As.

It's not disgusting, it's great. Two years ago we were paying around $3.50 a gallon, still cheap in comparison to your prices. Then all of a sudden we discovered we were producing so much in our own hemisphere that we could stick it to the Middle East, hence the pricing. You can continue selling Aston Martins to the Emirs, we'll soldier on in our little K!As.

That's a US gallon everybody. Which is still 8 pints, but 8 US pints. As mentioned earlier, a US pint is 16 floz where as a UK pint is 20 floz. So this gallon here which cost $3.50 2 years ago is 80% of a UK gallon which will exaggerate the price difference.

Imperial units remain stupid as this demonstrates quite nicely.

Off topic but I have to say. So much for "peak oil".