Imperial units are stupid

Are imperial units stupid?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Are imperial units stupid?

• Yes, let's be rid of them
    • Yes, but I like them anyway because I'm strange

I like them. I dont have any problems using both systems.

If you're 500 metres from me and I walk toward you at 5 km/h it will take a tenth of an hour for me to reach you which is 6 minutes.

If you're 300 yards from me and you walk toward me at 3 mph, how long will it take for you to get to me?

The difference would be even more startling if we sorted out the units for time.

U'm fine with it we used both at school and im just not uptight about either system.

Lifes too short to worry or get vexed about them. If you like metric then use metric.

1760 yards in a mile so 300 yards is 0.170454545454545 miles. At 3 mph that would take 0.056818181818182 hours which is 3 minutes and 24.545454545454545 seconds. All 3 of these numbers are rounded to 15 decimal places as they would otherwise go on forever.

I appreciate your point, but my point as I have already stated is that when one attempts to to any kind of calculation in imperial units it's a massive pain in the #$@€. It's not an equal and arbitrary choice as dramatically demonstrated by the Mars Climate Orbiter.

Edited by unbeliever

Imperial units will die out along with the dinosaurs who persist in using them.

Yeah course they will :roll:

You never hear the YOOF using imperial units ever do you.

I mean, I've totally lost count the number of times that I hear the YOOF asking for a 0.5682 glass of lager, declaring their height to be 1.778m tall and saying that they have lost 0.90718kg on their new diet plan.

We have a mixture of measurements dependant on what is best fit. It has been that way for many a year and will continue to be that way. Language eveolves. We buy our milk and beer by the pint but our fizzy drink and petrol by the litre. If I say that a place is half a mile down the road you would likley be able to picture the distance but would the same be as easy if I say it was 1600 metres. We buy our clothing in inches and our material and furniture in metres. Like I say, things change.

Brexit might even make the link to imperial even stronger. We certainly aint rushing to convert to those eurobabble kilometers as Clarkson says.

The USA has imperial across the majority of their lives and you dont see anyone screaming archic measurement used by dinosaurs there.

What makes you so confident its going to suddenly disappear?

Edited by ECCOnoob

Is anyone in favour of decimal time units?

How many days would there be in a year?

You're stuck with the same number of days in a year. But the subdivisions of a day can be sorted out: micro days etc (10 micro days ~= 1 second).

---------- Post added 23-09-2016 at 06:42 ----------

I mean, I've totally lost count the number of times that I hear the YOOF asking for a 0.5682 glass of lager, declaring their height to be 1.778m tall and saying that they have lost 0.90718kg on their new diet plan.

We have a mixture of measurements dependant on what is best fit. It has been that way for many a year and will continue to be that way. Language eveolves. We buy our milk and beer by the pint but our fizzy drink and petrol by the litre. If I say that a place is half a mile down the road you would likley be able to picture the distance but would the same be as easy if I say it was 1600 metres. We buy our clothing in inches and our material and furniture in metres. Like I say, things change.

Brexit might even make the link to imperial even stronger. We certainly aint rushing to convert to those eurobabble kilometers as Clarkson says.

The USA has imperial across the majority of their lives and you dont see anyone screaming archic measurement used by dinosaurs there.

It's pretty much just us and the USA holding out. Maybe if they crash a few more hyper-expensive space craft they'll see their mistake.

You ask for pints of beer because that's how it's sold. If it was in litre or halves you'd ask differently. When was the last time you asked for a gill of spirits for example? You have single or double whisky and soda...

I buy my milk in litres anyway - don't think I've ever bought it in pints.

And half a mile is 800m, not 1600m :)

You ask for pints of beer because that's how it's sold. If it was in litre or halves you'd ask differently. When was the last time you asked for a gill of spirits for example? You have single or double whisky and soda...

I buy my milk in litres anyway - don't think I've ever bought it in pints.

And half a mile is 800m, not 1600m :)

Asda milk has 2272ml. 4pints on the label.