For the older Blades on here

Any of you remember Colin Franks who was a blade from 1973-1976 ?

Just been on the phone with him for 20 minutes because the company i work for is doing business with the company he works for.

We decided to have a pint and talk about the old times when he comes into town next time.

Good centre back was Colin on some poor United teams and always a favourite player of mine.

Regards CB

Your post reminded me of Mel Rees's father phoning me up - circa 1996/7 - just to talk about his son (whom you will recall passed away at an incredibly young age).

He found my name through the club as at that time I was still a season ticket holder. So he phoned to ask me of my memories of his son which I was more than happy to oblige with! I told him about Mel's performance at Everton when the Blades won 2-0; it truly was a top drawer performance.

It's comforting to know that these 'stars' and their relatives are just like you and I and that sadly, the passing of someone both so young and with a promising future ahead of them places us all on a level playing field (no pun intended).

Mel was a nice bloke. His father is too.

Your post reminded me of Mel Rees's father phoning me up - circa 1996/7 - just to talk about his son (whom you will recall passed away at an incredibly young age).

He found my name through the club as at that time I was still a season ticket holder. So he phoned to ask me of my memories of his son which I was more than happy to oblige with! I told him about Mel's performance at Everton when the Blades won 2-0; it truly was a top drawer performance.

It's comforting to know that these 'stars' and their relatives are just like you and I and that sadly, the passing of someone both so young and with a promising future ahead of them places us all on a level playing field (no pun intended).

Mel was a nice bloke. His father is too.

Yep Colin was telling me he still gets back every couple of years ( sounds like all us ex pats are the same ) and he was back last year and played golf with Tony Currie, Len Badger, Ted Hemsley, Geoff Salmons , Tony Kenworthy etc and also mentioned that Cliff Calvert was living not too far away and was a fireman now.

Also mentioned he still plays football in an over 50's league :o here in Canada.

Be nice to meet up with him over a pint and talk about the old times.

Nice post Ouse

Regards CB

Archived