Tories to bring back Grammar schools

Do you know for a fact that grammar schools will be funded at the expense of and to the detriment of non-grammars or is it just a 'bloody Tories!' worry?

1pm news radio 4, this afternoon, reporter announced an extra £50 million per year the government will spend on these grammar schools.

---------- Post added 09-09-2016 at 13:29 ----------

Yes they can.

They already do this for all other exams and teaching in general.

Glad to see you agree with me.

Edited by poppet2

1pm news radio 4, this afternoon, reporter announced an extra £50 million per year the government will spend on these grammar schools.

---------- Post added 09-09-2016 at 13:29 ----------

Glad to see you agree with me.

£50m extra, not £50m taken from the comps? So?

(Btw highlighting a small part of a post and ignoring the rest to claim agreement is rather poor debate)

Why are children branded failures for not being as academic?

Because they're told they've failed the 11 plus and can't go to grammar school.

(Plus, they can transfer at a later date if they improve)

So you're saying they're not treated as failure but are told they have to improve.

Do you know for a fact that grammar schools will be funded at the expense of and to the detriment of non-grammars or is it just a 'bloody Tories!' worry?

Seems likely if you look at the funding differentials that exist in grammar school areas currently

So you're saying they're not treated as failure but are told they have to improve.

Children that end up in foundation classes for maths and science, meaning the maximum grade they can achieve is a C? Are they branded failures?

Yes they can.

They already do this for all other exams and teaching in general.

It is irrelevant to the question of whether grammar schools are a good idea.

It is relevant if chances of getting into a grammar are enhanced by additional tutoring.

You're reading a lot into things I didn't actually say.

Firstly, failing the 11 plus only equates to being told you are a failure if the culture in which you reside places a lot of importance onto succeeding academically.

In my scenario where practical skills and other abilities are hailed as highly as academic success, not being academic would not be seen as being a failure. You probably would not want to go to a grammar school, but to an excellent technical college, or the like.

If however, you did have your heart set on academia, but perhaps happened to fail the 11+ entrance exam for one reason or another, you can try again at a later date. I did not say they are told they have to improve, only that they have the ability to retry if they want to.

---------- Post added 09-09-2016 at 13:40 ----------

Is that in parallel with the extra £350 million they'll spend on the NHS every week.

That's funny - I don't actually think Theresa May ever said that, but let's not get into that argument. It never ends well.