Tories to bring back Grammar schools

Very difficult to compare.

Scotland(no grammar schools) has slightly better schools than England, despite England still having many grammar schools; but Wales does poorly and has no grammar schools.

I don't think that there is much doubt that England's education system is falling internationally. We are talking a lot at work about the level to which new students and in turn new graduates have a training gap between where we need them to be and what they know/can do.

I don't think that there is much doubt that England's education system is falling internationally. We are talking a lot at work about the level to which new students and in turn new graduates have a training gap between where we need them to be and what they know/can do.

Doesn't it beg the question of why we don't just copy the educational system of the most educationally successful nations?

Doesn't it beg the question of why we don't just copy the educational system of the most educationally successful nations?

Well certainly I guess we'd want to copy the best bits of it. But then there's the argument that systems such as those in the far east Korea/China/Singapore might diminish our creative industries.

The stark fact is that grammar schools are funded by taxation. Therefore, we should consider whether the children of tax-payers should be denied access to a service funded by their parents?

That's a nonsense already. You simply can't send your child to the school you choose whatever the situation in the local authority. There are people all over Sheffield who can't get into their first, second or third choice schools.

That's a nonsense already. You simply can't send your child to the school you choose whatever the situation in the local authority. There are people all over Sheffield who can't get into their first, second or third choice schools.

It would appear that biotechpete favours privilege at the tax-payers' expense.

It would appear that biotechpete favours privilege at the tax-payers' expense.

I favour better schools. I'm not sure grammars are the answer, and I went to one. But it's clear for anyone to see that the system which favours privilege as the taxpayers' expense is the one we have now. A system where ability to afford a house in the catchment area is the primary condition of entry. To my mind that is worse than grammar school selection.

---------- Post added 09-09-2016 at 22:44 ----------

Are they the best? I thought that was Finland

Finland is 6th behind those:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11600487/Top-20-countries-for-pupil-achievement-in-basic-skills.html?frame=3283484

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11600587/What-to-do-to-add-trillions-to-the-UK-economy-Do-better-than-Vietnam-and-Poland.html

I favour better schools. I'm not sure grammars are the answer, and I went to one. But it's clear for anyone to see that the system which favours privilege as the taxpayers' expense is the one we have now. A system where ability to afford a house in the catchment area is the primary condition of entry. To my mind that is worse than grammar school selection.

I wonder how we could improve schools? I'm sure there are teachers working in state schools who contribute to SheffieldForum, and I'm confident that if they were minded to contribute to this debate they would tell us that they are already working in intolerable conditions.

Schools, all schools, need to be properly funded. Teachers need to be respected and cherished for their hard work and dedication, and pupils who experience difficulties need appropriate support.

More selection, more privilege, more divisive educational policy are absolutely not what is needed - points that many tories have been making today.

the school system in the South is quite different to up here ... half their schools are private schools plus Kent and Buckinghamshire still maintain the grammar system.

since when have the Tories done anything that benefits working class people or The North..

The Govt should Nationalise all schools/education.. Grammar and Tech schools seems to be harking back to the past... still don't schools still have different education level classes/ forms these days ..