Tories to bring back Grammar schools

In the interests of full disclosure if Grammar Schools are brought back as planned and the 11+ is used for selection I will not be calling any child that doesn't pass it a failure.

You will it seems. That's not very nice is it?

Is this worth answering ? Err, no, I don`t think it is.

I do think it interesting that nobody seems to have answered this question.

Also the matter that the Tories are proposing a massive social change (because it is) without any electoral mandate at all

Finally, if this all comes to pass there will be a lot of very unhappy home owners ! Whether it`s right or wrong, houses near good schools are worth considerably more than those next to poor schools, and there will be an almighty price correction. What`s ironic is I`d suggest Tory voters would have more to lose from that. They`re more likely to have more expensive houses and, indeed, to have moved into a good school catchment area. That`s the one, very minor, silver lining for this for me, rough justice indeed.

---------- Post added 10-09-2016 at 13:18 ----------

I agree with you completely. One has to say, if Comps are already streamed, as they are, surely that takes much of the argument for Grammar schools away anyway.

No-body has answered your point about needless travelling because tbh, it's trivial. In the grand scheme of things wondering if your nipper might have to take a bus to school is daft.

And now you mention house prices falling and the deserving Tory voters getting their just desserts.

Lol. I have no respect for anything else you say.

Edited by Santo

Yes comps are streamed, usually top, middle and bottom sets, it' not enough. The bottom set is going to have a huge range of ability.

but the implication of grammar schools is really that it's next best to fee paying, or put another way, a barrier between the riff raff and the worthy.

You don't understand how secondary education works currently.

It isn't one size fits all. Far from it. At my kids school BTEC qualifications were available as well as the traditional subjects. It catered for all levels from kids getting 12 A* GCSEs to kids leaving with good vocational qualifications. And it had one of the best 6th forms in the whole region.

Nobody was held back, and there was something for everyone.

Grammars are surely just an extension of streaming.

Yes comps are streamed, usually top, middle and bottom sets, it' not enough. The bottom set is going to have a huge range of ability.

but the implication of grammar schools is really that it's next best to fee paying, or put another way, a barrier between the riff raff and the worthy.

You can put it that way. It's wrong, but fill your boots.

No-body has answered your point about needless travelling because tbh, it's trivial. In the grand scheme of things wondering if your nipper might have to take a bus to school is daft.

And now you mention house prices falling and the deserving Tory voters getting their just desserts.

Lol. I have no respect for anything else you say.

You can't have kids. In fact I doubt many people commenting on this thread do.

I have a few kids ranging from 11 years to 21 years. I've lived and breathed changes to the education system for 17 years now as a parent and I have 7 more years to go. My partner has even been a school governor for quite a few years. We're fed up with change. It's disorientating for families and kids.

I have to say that the last 6 or 7 years has brought some stability to the system. Gove tossed a bit of a grenade into that but it hasn't destabilised things too much. But enough is enough.

As for travel do not underestimate the challenges that brings to families. Seriously don't. I know too many people who have hectic and frantic lives trying to get kids to and from school in the mornings and evening.

Grammars are surely just an extension of streaming.

Which school is it I wonder? It doesn't sound like Hinde House, that's for sure.

I bet it's in a 'good area.'

---------- Post added 10-09-2016 at 13:33 ----------

You can't have kids. In fact I doubt many people commenting on this thread do.

I have a few kids ranging from 11 years to 21 years. I've lived and breathed changes to the education system for 17 years now as a parent and I have 7 more years to go. My partner has even been a school governor for quite a few years. We're fed up with change. It's disorientating for families and kids.

I have to say that the last 6 or 7 years has brought some stability to the system. Gove tossed a bit of a grenade into that but it hasn't destabilised things too much. But enough is enough.

As for travel do not underestimate the challenges that brings to families. Seriously don't. I know too many people who have hectic and frantic lives trying to get kids to and from school in the mornings and evening.

Do not underestimate that if the local school is **** and the parents manage to get their child into a better school across town they won't make the sacrifice. Just don't.

Edited by Santo

Maybe you could argue that but if we already have streaming what is the point?

Surely a better plan would be raising standards within the existing system.

Yes, that is obviously the thing to do. Do you not think maybe the Government thought of that?