Tories to bring back Grammar schools

Which school is it I wonder? It doesn't sound like Hinde House, that's for sure.

I bet it's in a 'good area.'

---------- Post added 10-09-2016 at 13:33 ----------

Do not underestimate that if the local school is **** and the parents manage to get their child into a better school across town they won't make the sacrifice. Just don't.

Of course they will try and do it. That is not the point though is it because the new system could cause children to travel when they previously wouldn't have had to.

But you touch on an interesting point and that is the location of the new grammars. I guess you are assuming they will be located in the more desirable areas?

No-body has answered your point about needless travelling because tbh, it's trivial. In the grand scheme of things wondering if your nipper might have to take a bus to school is daft.

Since grammar schools do not improve education overall, the negatives are important.

If making children travel 5/10 hours every week is important. I dont do it in my job, most sensible people work locally, unless the rewards are large.

The rewards are not large, I am not sure there is any advantage to grammar schools at all.

Yes, that is obviously the thing to do. Do you not think maybe the Government thought of that?

Yes they probably did but then they probably decided to ignore all the available evidence and decided instead to design a populist policy, you know the sort of thing that makes a Daily Mail reader happy and would achieve optimum levels of distraction from Brexit.

Since grammar schools do not improve education overall [snip]

Assumes supposed facts not in evidence.

---------- Post added 10-09-2016 at 13:43 ----------

Yes they probably did but then they probably decided to ignore all the available evidence and decided instead to design a populist policy, you know the sort of thing that makes a Daily Mail reader happy and would achieve optimum levels of distraction from Brexit.

Surely people will be more likely to vote for the current government if they perceive that their children and being better educated. Populism can drive our leaders to seek to serve our interests.

Of course they will try and do it. That is not the point though is it because the new system could cause children to travel when they previously wouldn't have had to.

But you touch on an interesting point and that is the location of the new grammars. I guess you are assuming they will be located in the more desirable areas?

Nope. Why would I assume that?

No-body has answered your point about needless travelling because tbh, it's trivial. In the grand scheme of things wondering if your nipper might have to take a bus to school is daft.

And now you mention house prices falling and the deserving Tory voters getting their just desserts.

Lol. I have no respect for anything else you say.

Thanks for your last comment, I have to say I find being personal on forums tends to be a bad move.

The traffic issue is obviously minor compared to a child`s education, but bearing in mind most major cities are close to gridlock at the present time it can`t be considered a minor point in the whole. I would suggest that to those without kids, whose priorities are somewhat different, it is anything but a minor point. Your assumption that all these kids will get the bus is, I would think, a tad optimistic.

I do mention house prices falling, again that is a minor point compared to one`s child`s education, but to those without kids it is most certainly not a minor point. We`re talking tens of thousands of pounds here.

Unintended consequences ? A bit like another recent socio political earthquake.......

Assumes supposed facts not in evidence.

---------- Post added 10-09-2016 at 13:43 ----------

Surely people will be more likely to vote for the current government if they perceive that their children and being better educated. Populism can drive our leaders to seek to serve our interests.

It's not about perception it's about reality. And the reality is that grammar schools were ditched for good reasons. They were deeply unpopular even amongst the people you would expect to be the most ardent supporters of them. That equivalent modern cohort now has no shared memory of the system (becsuse few of them experienced it) and are guilty of believing in a nostalgic vision that is not rooted in reality. Once they realise they could and most likely will be victims of the new system their views will change.

Yes comps are streamed, usually top, middle and bottom sets, it' not enough. The bottom set is going to have a huge range of ability.

but the implication of grammar schools is really that it's next best to fee paying, or put another way, a barrier between the riff raff and the worthy.

I wouldn't have though a stream within a Comp had a greater range of abilities than an entire Grammar school. Or are saying that Grammar schools are also streamed ?

It`s a while since I was at school (King Ecgbert`s), but I thought my comp had more then three streams, from memory it was 4 or 5 (in the subjects which were streamed).