Tories to bring back Grammar schools

There is indeed a gulf between us. The idea that front line staff in any discipline should be put under pressure is simply sickening.

I don't agree, teachers are paid very well, there are progression opportunities and a fairly good work life balance if you get your finger out.

They should be put under pressure to perform nay excell. Complacent teachers should fear their job security if their not up to scratch

They shouldn't be taken for granted and they shouldn't pe used as a political weapon though.

Katie Price is an author now....

The 11+ is one test. I don't know much about grammars but if you pass the 11+ I assume the classes at grammar school are still streamed? Just the bottom at a grammar will be shifted along from the bottom at a 'secondary modern,' no?

Did you feel like a failure for not being in all the top sets? Were you called a failure by your teachers and parents for not being in all the top sets?

Oh come on, there`s all the difference in the world between not being in the top set for one or two subjects and failing an exam that means you are officially not going to the school your parents probably wanted you to go to and are rather disappointed you`re not going to (however they try to hide it). There`s no two ways about it, a kid either passes, or fails, the 11+,a one off exam at 11. To be frank I`m surprised there are still so many people who think that`s a system we should adopt, particularly parents. On that subject, this much quoted statistic that "most people want grammar schools", are the percentages the same for those who have kids ? Particularly kids under, say, nine ?

Who is Katie Price ? And is she a real author or does she get stuff ghost written ?

Oh come on, there`s all the difference in the world between not being in the top set for one or two subjects and failing an exam that means you are officially not going to the school your parents probably wanted you to go to and are rather disappointed you`re not going to (however they try to hide it). There`s no two ways about it, a kid either passes, or fails, the 11+,a one off exam at 11. To be frank I`m surprised there are still so many people who think that`s a system we should adopt, particularly parents. On that subject, this much quoted statistic that "most people want grammar schools", are the percentages the same for those who have kids ? Particularly kids under, say, nine ?

Who is Katie Price ? And is she a real author or does she get stuff ghost written ?

The 11+ may have been a one off exam at 11, but there has always been the opportunity to transfer to a grammar school at 13 by taking the 13+ transfer exam. May's proposals would have transfer exams at 14 and 16.

That doesn't answer my question, that deflects from it. Were you called a failure by anyone for not getting into all the top sets? A simple yes or no will do.

Out of interest, you are an author? Of what? Just wondering if it's in any way relevant to grammar schools...

(I do hope your publisher/editors write ' the right way round. You don't. It's v annoying. There, I said it)

Edited by Santo

That doesn't answer my question, that deflects from it. Were you called a failure by anyone for not getting into all the top sets? A simple yes or no will do.

Yes I would think I thought I`d failed, but I consoled myself with the fact I was in the top set for some subjects, so I couldn`t be that thick, could I......... My parents, particularly my mum, came closest to calling me a failure, though I`d be surprised if she used those exact words. The message was clear though, a message she repeats regularly (over my dropping out of University) with monotonous regularity.

Out of interest, you are an author? Of what? Just wondering if it's in any way relevant to grammar schools...

This, mainly technical with a humorous bent, though this is my favourite piece, and isn`t technical at all.

No I wouldn`t say it was relevant to Grammar schools, that said one or two teachers have contacted me to tell me they`ve used part of it in their lessons. Does that count ? ! ?

Edited by Justin Smith

Yes I would think I thought I`d failed. My parents, particularly my mum, came closest to calling me a failure, though I`d be surprised if she use those exact words. The message was clear though.

This, mainly technical with a humorous bent, though this is my favourite piece, and isn`t technical at all.

No I wouldn`t say it was relevant to Grammar schools, that said one or two teachers have contacted me to tell me they`ve used part of it in their lessons. Does that count ? ! ?

So if you thought you were a failure for not getting into all the top sets are you against any type of streaming, even within comprehensives?

Yes I would think I thought I`d failed. My parents, particularly my mum, came closest to calling me a failure, though I`d be surprised if she use those exact words. The message was clear though.

So, when you say those that fail the 11+ will be labelled failures it's kind of from personal experience? With all due respect, I think your mum failed you for not realising not everyone is a genius and treating you in that way.

Will read your stuff later. :)

---------- Post added 13-09-2016 at 16:55 ----------

So if you thought you were a failure for not getting into all the top sets are you against any type of streaming, even within comprehensives?

How many 11 year old boys fail try-outs at football clubs? How many even get a try-out? Isn't that equally heartbreaking to a child?

Anyone who hasn't failed at something in life is lying, delusional or....Matt Dawson. He's good at everything it seems :suspect:

Edited by Santo

Neither profession is the mark of success which it used to be, and that's been the case for a good while now.

Takes much more than getting the academic/professional qualification badge in this day and age (it always did of course...but, I feel, never more so than nowadays).

Well I don't know what the kids now are wanting to do that will get them super high salaries and respect - surely doctors have to be up there despite the current run in with the government. Lets put it this way, an awful lot of middle class parents will assume their offspring will be successful and not stack shelves at asda (Im not running down people who work in shops - Ive done it myself). Theyre going to assume jasper and matilda are going to make the cut on the 11plus. Failure isn't a consideration.

---------- Post added 13-09-2016 at 16:57 ----------

So, when you say those that fail the 11+ will be labelled failures it's kind of from personal experience? With all due respect, I think your mum failed you for not realising not everyone is a genius and treating you in that way.

---------- Post added 13-09-2016 at 16:55 ----------

How many 11 year old boys fail try-outs at football clubs? How many even get a try-out? Isn't that equally heartbreaking to a child?

Anyone who hasn't failed at something in life is lying, delusional or....Matt Dawson. He's good at everything it seems :(

He did that pass to Wilkinson in 2003 you know. Does he ever mention it?

Well I don't know what the kids now are wanting to do that will get them super high salaries and respect - surely doctors have to be up there despite the current run in with the government. Lets put it this way, an awful lot of middle class parents will assume their offspring will be successful and not stack shelves at asda (Im not running down people who work in shops - Ive done it myself). Theyre going to assume jasper and matilda are going to make the cut on the 11plus. Failure isn't a consideration.

---------- Post added 13-09-2016 at 16:57 ----------

He did that pass to Wilkinson in 2003 you know. Does he ever mention it?

Lol. I can't even say he's an ugly git. No cauliflower ears, no busted nose and smashed teeth. Balding though. YAY!!!! So am I. Grrrrrrr.

No I`m not, because, as has been stated by some proponents of Grammar schools on here, so long as it`s not overwhelming failure, it`s a lesson in life that you can`t always win or get what you want. But, so long as you can succeed, or at least do a little better in some things, and you see that most people aren't top in everything, that`s what counts.

---------- Post added 13-09-2016 at 18:40 ----------

Anyone who hasn't failed at something in life is lying, delusional or....Matt Dawson. He's good at everything it seems :suspect:

No, my Mum was probably right, I didn`t work hard enough !

Interesting sidelight here. My parents had to pay a top up to my student grant, yes they had them in those days. I really would rather have got a loan, I couldn`t stand the fact they reminded me they were helping to pay for me to be at Uni. I`d far rather have done it under my own steam. On the other hand, I think the amounts students are required to find these days are far too high.

You`ll be on it for days to read it all !

I think that`s a bit different in that the vast majority of kids fail to become professional footballers, most (sane) parents realise that and would make sure their kids knew that from an early age.

Edited by Justin Smith