British Rail should it be brought back?

Around 1996/97 was the start of the end of our nationalized rail network as bit by bit was sold off to private companies ,we were promised that fares would be cheaper and a better service the grass was supposedly greener on the other side. Things to start with looked promising then the fare hikes arrived and haven risen to the point that rail fares are now amongst highest in Europe. I don't use the trains much when I have I can't say that IV been impressed much with them I call them ' skips on rails' cleaning is not one of their strong points but their are other delights to enjoy overcrowding is something not to be missed when people get close and personal has carriages start to look like sardines in a tin. The fares are something else clearly seats need to be provided at the ticket desk to sit down in shock as the customer is told the fare perhaps a stiff drink service is required. So let's debate should the trains be brought back into public ownership or do people like to keep paying high fares and enjoyed traveling in cramped style?

Around 1996/97 was the start of the end of our nationalized rail network as bit by bit was sold off to private companies ,we were promised that fares would be cheaper and a better service the grass was supposedly greener on the other side. Things to start with looked promising then the fare hikes arrived and haven risen to the point that rail fares are now amongst highest in Europe. I don't use the trains much when I have I can't say that IV been impressed much with them I call them ' skips on rails' cleaning is not one of their strong points but their are other delights to enjoy overcrowding is something not to be missed when people get close and personal has carriages start to look like sardines in a tin. The fares are something else clearly seats need to be provided at the ticket desk to sit down in shock as the customer is told the fare perhaps a stiff drink service is required. So let's debate should the trains be brought back into public ownership or do people like to keep paying high fares and enjoyed traveling in cramped style?

Haha, that is not at all a leading question is it?

British Rail Regrets, by Steve Turner

British Rail regrets

having to regret.

British Rail regrets

it cannot spell.

British Rail regrets

the chalk ran out.

British Rail regrets

that due to a staff shortage

there will be no-one

to offer regrets.

British Rail regrets, but will not be sending

flowers or tributes.

British Rail regrets

the early arrival

of your train.

This was due to industrious action.

British Rail regrets

that because of a work-to-rule

by our tape machine

this is a real person.

British Rail regrets

the cheese shortage

in your sandwich.

This is due to

a points failure.

The steward got

three out of ten.

British Rail regrets.

Tears flow from beneath

the locked doors of staff rooms.

Red-eyed ticket collectors

offer comfort

to stranded passengers.

Angry drivers threaten

to come out in sympathy

with the public.

British Rail regrets.

That's why its members

are permanently dressed in black.

That's why porters stand around

as if in a state of shock.

That's why Passenger Information

is off the hook.

British Rail regrets

that due to the shortage of regrets

there will be a train.

But weren't trains expensive back then? Didn't they stink? Wasn't the food a standing joke? Wasn't there strikes all the time? Weren't they late?

If memory serves, and admittedly I wasn't a regular rail user by any standard, the answer to all the above questions was "yes". If was awesome or at least not in need of billions of pounds worth of upgrades, the Tories wouldn't have sold it and Blair wouldn't have rubber stamped it in 97.

---------- Post added 08-09-2016 at 23:26 ----------

Its not necessary to bring them back in public ownership but just turn them into not for profit companies.

It would cost but yes, we can afford it.

What would you like to cut to pay for it? NHS? Armed forces? Education?