British Rail should it be brought back?

It's not problem solved if 3% of GDP gets spent in a below optimum way.

In fact the problem that needs to be solved is working out how we get even better value like the Spanish do. We can get better services by spending less not more. We all know the problems with the NHS and we all could point to better ways to reduce the spend on it.

I'm very irritated by the way supporters of privatisation so vigorously attack waste but are so relaxed about tens of billions being creamed off by private companies once services are privatised. Railways or healthcare it doesn't matter it seems.

What percentage do you imagine is "creamed off"?

Those of us who support privatisation are of the view that that which is lost to profit is more than made up for by that which is gained in efficiency and quality.

If I thought there was another way to achieve the gains without the loss to "profit", I'd probably support it.

What percentage do you imagine is "creamed off"?

Those of us who support privatisation are of the view that that which is lost to profit is more than made up for by that which is gained in efficiency and quality.

If I thought there was another way to achieve the gains without the loss to "profit", I'd probably support it.

I'm not imagining that money gets creamed off. We all know it does and the % is going to vary by sector.

Most privatisations have not been successful. I'm not going to deny that some things have improved but others have not, or at least the promise has not been realised.

Railways are the standout failure which is why there is a massive public majority in favour of renationalisation.

Edited by I1L2T3

I'm not imagining that money gets creamed off. We all know it does and the % is going to vary by sector.

Most privatisations have not been successful. I'm not going to deny that some things have improved but others not, or at least the promise has not been realised.

Railways are the standout failure which is why there is a massive public majority in favour of renationalisation.

I'm content to be in the minority on this matter. Fortunately as we have parliamentary democracy rather than direct democracy and the government always seems to agree with me, I seem to have the upper hand.

I'm content to be in the minority on this matter. Fortunately as we have parliamentary democracy rather than direct democracy and the government always seems to agree with me, I seem to have the upper hand.

You're taking the mick now. Direct democracy suited you a few weeks ago ;)

The East Coast line was run by the government from 2009 to 2015 due to problems with the franchisees. It worked fine.

It makes sense for all the big utilities to be run by the government, such as the NHS, roads, railways, gas, electricity and water.

And isn't that the truth of the situation, spot on.

Angel1.

No. It isn't. As has now been explained on this thread twice.

Sorry is reality proving inconvenient for the nationalise case? Maybe if you ignore it, it will go away.

You've explained nothing. You've presented a hardcord ideolgical stance as fact which does not match reality.