Remembering Studio 7 in the Wicker!

I went in the cinema officially, after its closure. The downstairs auditorium was flooded, and the two upstairs ones were intact, but rather grubby. The electricity supply was still on, and the three projectors still operated, I tried them out. It was strange to see how one film could be laced through all three projectors, allowing the one film to be shown on all three screens.

Seems to be the way of cinema's they end their days as naughty X rated cinemas or if they are lucky tacky bingo halls.

---------- Post added 10-09-2016 at 18:49 ----------

I went in the cinema officially, after its closure. The downstairs auditorium was flooded, and the two upstairs ones were intact, but rather grubby. The electricity supply was still on, and the three projectors still operated, I tried them out. It was strange to see how one film could be laced through all three projectors, allowing the one film to be shown on all three screens.

Very long shot did you take any photos?

it was affectionately called the flea pit!!!

'Flea Pit' was a name of many Sheffield cinemas, especially some of those in areas away from the city centre, The 'Roscoe' and the 'Victory' (Upwell Street) and 'South Street' but not all of them,. as I found both Essoldo's excellent and 'Abbeydale' ,The 'Coliseum' (Spital Hill), "Sunbeam' (Barnsley Road, Firvale.) and even the' Pavillion' (Attercliffe Common). I say 'even' because that was a real working class area. The 'Wicker Picture Palace' (?) wasn't all that bad.

I always remember seeing an ad for an x rated film called The Flesh is Weak, which seemed to be on forever, in the late fifties, This was before it was called Studio7. I used to change buses in the Wicker on my way to school and used to stare at the posters outside the Cinema. I also saw Clint Eastwood's debut film, A Fistful of Dollars a few years later, when it was called Studio 7

When I was around 16 years old my favourite film star was Briggite Bardott and she was showing at the Wicker in a film called The Night Heaven Fell.

I sneaked of the Castle Market building site where I was an apprentice bricklayer walked on the Wicker and sneaked into the afternoon performance all excited about seeing Briggite in the flesh so to speak.

The film started and I sat bang in the middle near the back of the auditorium ,imagine my surprise when in a almost empty cinema a bloke in a rain coat came in and sat bang next to me.

The film was hotting up with Briggite being Briggite when this bloke put his hand on my knee and then my thigh .

I jumped up as though I had just been electrocuted and in my best building site language told this pervo to go away and smacked him in the gob.

He ran out and the one or two other members of that afternoons audience told me I had done a good job on pervo.

I did not visit the Wicker again until Crocodile Dundee was showing to record audiences but this time I made sure I was with my wife and Susan from next door , I sat in the middle of the two just to make sure.

When I was around 16 years old my favourite film star was Briggite Bardott and she was showing at the Wicker in a film called The Night Heaven Fell.

I sneaked of the Castle Market building site where I was an apprentice bricklayer walked on the Wicker and sneaked into the afternoon performance all excited about seeing Briggite in the flesh so to speak.

The film started and I sat bang in the middle near the back of the auditorium ,imagine my surprise when in a almost empty cinema a bloke in a rain coat came in and sat bang next to me.

The film was hotting up with Briggite being Briggite when this bloke put his hand on my knee and then my thigh .

I jumped up as though I had just been electrocuted and in my best building site language told this pervo to go away and smacked him in the gob.

He ran out and the one or two other members of that afternoons audience told me I had done a good job on pervo.

I did not visit the Wicker again until Crocodile Dundee was showing to record audiences but this time I made sure I was with my wife and Susan from next door , I sat in the middle of the two just to make sure.

--------------------

Hi Samssong, Yes i remember the good times in the wicker picture

house in the 60s, i can't remember the picture but sexy Briggite B

was in it she was great. i use too go in all the pubs in wicker in the

80s. Can you remember the 3D pictures the had and where we had

too put a cardboard glasses on red and green on our face.

Happy Days. :hihi::hihi:

--------------------

Hi Samssong, Yes i remember the good times in the wicker picture

house in the 60s, i can't remember the picture but sexy Briggite B

was in it she was great. i use too go in all the pubs in wicker in the

80s. Can you remember the 3D pictures the had and where we had

too put a cardboard glasses on red and green on our face.

Happy Days. :hihi::hihi:

I remember the 3 d glasses funny thing is that they have made a come back in the last couple of years.

As to the Wicker there must have been around a dozen pubs from the Big Gun to the Hole in the Wall .

I remember the 3 d glasses funny thing is that they have made a come back in the last couple of years. ...

The old red-green 3D glasses made a bit of a comeback in the early 90s, with one of the Nightmare on Elm Street sequels (which was so bad I forget its name, and which sequel it was). The last ten or fifteen minutes were in 3D, as I recall.

I remember the 3 d glasses funny thing is that they have made a come back in the last couple of years.

As to the Wicker there must have been around a dozen pubs from the Big Gun to the Hole in the Wall .

Great recollection samssong. but (as a Pitsmoor bloke) the pubs that were actually in the Wicker, that were on the 'Studio 7' side, were the 'Brown Cow' and the 'Bull and Oak'. the other side was 'White Lion','Viaduct' and the 'Station Hotel' and the only one left in the Wicker, the 'Big Gun'. The 'Hole in the Wall' (Wicker Brewery) was few yards into the beginning of Saville Street just beyond the arches .Thank you sammsong !