Did anyone know Lillian Watkinson?

stephanie123

Hi.

I am trying to find information on my grandmother her name was Lillian Watkinson born 1915 or 1916 from Attercliffe, she was raised on Staniforth rd, and lived at 37 Ardmoore st in the late 30's and early 40's with my great grandmother Alice Ford, and her step dad Alfred ford.....She died in 1974 in Shire green area, she married an Albert Medley in 1954 was wondering if anyone knew her? as I never met her died before I was even born, and never knew of her until recently seeing my dad birth certificate and my dad never spoke of his past, he sadly passed in 2002.

Hi stephanie123 - welcome to the Forum! :)

I've just had a look at online public records in case there was anything there that might be of interest to you. Beginning with 1974 when your grandma died, I found a Sheffield death entry of Oct-Dec 1974 for Lilian Mary Medley, with her date of birth given as "about 1913" - see here. In fact the births index shows a Sheffield entry Oct-Dec 1915 for Lilian M. Watkinson and, as you mention, there is a 1954 marriage entry for Lilian M. Watkinson and Albert E. Medley.

I have directories from the 1930s and 1940s but unfortunately the houses in Ardmore Street were evidently "court" houses whose occupants are not given in directories. However I looked at the 1911 census return. I didn't actually find an Alice Ford at 37 Ardmore Street, but could her name have actually been Amy? I mention this as the census return does show Alfred & Amy Ford and their family at 37 Ardmore Street - here is a scan.

Thje 1915 birth entry gives your great-grandmother's maiden name as Spencer. The only likely marriage record is one for William Henry Watkinson, born 1875, who married Alice Elizabeth Spencer, born 1895, at Attercliffe on 2 August 1915.

If you wanted to obtain copies of, for example, your grandmother's birth and marriage certificates, this can be done for the usual fee of £9.25 per certificate (you can obtain certificates from the Sheffield Register Office - back of the Town Hall - or online).

Thank you for responding, her name Alice Elizabeth Ford her maiden name was Spencer, and her first husband was William Watkinson my great grand father who she married in 1935 but William died and she met Alfred Ford and lived with him at 37 Ardmoore st with Lillian and my dad.... I dont know if Lillian had siblings or she have any other kids, as she put my dad in a Orphanage when he was 7 I think, no idea what Orphanage or who his Foster family were, no idea if Albert my grandfather or not, as no father listed on my dad birth certificate which is really odd..... I know william, alice and alfred are buried at Darnall Cementary no idea about Lillian, thought maybe someone from this forum might of knew her? or Albert Medley? Alice died in 1940 at a young age of 40 years old no idea what she died of as that really young......alfired died age of 82 in 1945 he was alot older then Alice. I think Lillian died in shire green area at the age of 64? cant find anything on her death same with Albert.....

Edited by stephanie123

Hi - I did wonder about the Ford family and the "step dad" aspect!

... I dont know if Lillian had siblings or she have any other kids.....
Your dad's birth, registered in Oct-Dec 1938, is recorded in the index with the mother's maiden name also given as Watkinson (an indication of 'illegitimacy' - hence no father's name on the birth certificate). There are no similar entries for Sheffield, and so it seems that your dad didn't have any siblings unless they were born elsewhere. There are also no likely siblings for Lilian, to judge from the data in the births index.
...I think Lillian died in shire green area at the age of 64? cant find anything on her death..
As Lilian was born in Oct-Dec 1915 and died in Oct-Dec 1974 she would have been 58 or 59. Her age was evidently unknown to the registrar, and so it would have been given as an approximate figure on the death certifcate. The certificate will give the place of death and her address at the time of death.
.. cant find anything on her death same with Albert.....
Albert's name is given as "Albert E. Medley" in the marriages index. An Albert Edward Medley was born in Sheffield on 18 July 1901 and died in Sheffield in Jul-Sep 1971.

what if she had kids with Albert they would be a medley wouldnt they?..
Yes they would have the surname Medley, but the births index doesn't show any Medley children (in the whole of England & Wales) with the mother's maiden name given as Watkinson. Being in his mid-50s Albert might not have had fatherhood in mind when he married your grandma.
...also how do I go about finding the Orphanage he was in? and the foster family?
Sorry I can't help here - maybe other Forummers will know how to make this sort of enquiry.

Sheffield Indexers has,

WATKINSON, Lilian Mary (of 410 Staniforth Road, born 0000-12-08 ).

Baptised January 5, 1916, by F Lyndon Pedley at Christ Church, Attercliffe.

Parents name(s) are Alice & Henry (Labourer).

Note: ~

Sponsor: ~ Page No 66 :Reg No 522

Edited by retep

so no records of Shire green? think her last known address was spicy avenue?..
"L. Medley, 263 Sicey Avenue" (1973 directory). Kelly's directory entries show that Albert had lived there since 1950 or earlier.
...would of been nice if someone knew her or her husband.
It's a slim chance, but you never know your luck!

Hi Stephanie,

1939 Register.

37 Ardmore Street, Sheffield.

Alfred Ford, D.O.B. 30 Dec 1862, Pensioner - retired, married.

Alice Ford, D.O.B. 13 May 1892, Unpaid domestic duties, married.

Lilian Watkinson, D.O.B. 8 Dec 1915, Unemployed day girl, single.

Brian Watkinson, D.O.B. 27 Oct 1938, under school age.

With reference to the 1911 census which Hillsbro found for 37 Ardmore St.

There is a death registration for a Amy Ford, born 1863 who died March Q 1932.

Moira.