Did you go to a grammar school?

GOLDEN OLDIE

I was a borderline fail. I was given the opportunity of a place at the City Tech but for reasons that are lost in the mist of time, I didn't go there. I seem to remember taking an entrance exam but failed that too, but not sure.

A teacher friend of mine once told me that in the 50's/early 60's, owing to the limited places in grammar schools, each primary was allotted a certain number of places. If primary school (a) was allotted say, two places, then the two highest marked pupils would pass. The upshot of this (according to him) was that it was feasible that a pupil from primary school (b) with a lower mark than the 3rd highest at school (a) could pass, if the allotted spaces allowed.

If this is true then it was pretty outrageous, but I have found no way of confirming it. The teacher friend died earlier this year so I can't even validate the original conversation.

...If this is true then it was pretty outrageous, but I have found no way of confirming it...
This is news to me but it's clear that, in any one intake year, the number of places at local grammar schools was limited. This meant that the 11-plus was competitive, with a more-or-less fixed number of grammar school places being available. This in turn was reflected in the "pass mark" so that if more 11-plus pupils than usual did well in the examination, the pass mark was raised so that the potential grammar school intake reflected the places available. My older brother Roy and I both went to Malin Bridge Junior School - in Roy's year (1956) six boys went to King Edward's, in both 1957 and 1958 three boys went there, while in my year 1959 four of us went to King Ted's (I was originally going to City Grammar, but another place later became available at King Edward's). In fact I often wonder what became of the other three. Victor Edy went to Birmingham University and Julian Hunt went to Nottingham University, while Melville Norton left under somewhat mysterious circumstances and joined the Army. I worked for a b*nk and became an eccentric Forummer in North Lincs. :) Edited by hillsbro

A cousin of mine attended Oakwood which I think was a grammar school in Moorgate area I think there was one not far from there which was a very old one and changed it's name to Rotherham College in the sixties, I remember it was a boys only school like ours and we played them at football and cricket.

Hi again Tony, you mention Oakwood and I always thought that was Notre Dame girl's school at Fulwood, where my cousin went. (after Notre Dame moved from Cavendish Street, off Glossop Road).

Re the debate, I came originally from a council estate and had just moved to our first mortgaged house near St Joseph's Junior, Walkley, then took the 11 plus. I don't remember any pressure to pass.

I feel, as in my case, that Grammar Schools can take bright children from any background and encourage them to learn and question the subjects and established knowledge alongside their similar peers. However it is down to the individual- I was always more keen to play than do revision and suffered as a result. But I developed a lifelong thirst for knowledge and learning and if modern Grammar schools can do the same, we can perhaps raise standards to catch up with China et al.

I seem to remember there was also a "handicap" system as part of the 11 plus that depended on your birthday within the school year. If your birthday was earlier in the year (say, October or January) you had to score a higher mark than pupils whose birth-dates fell later on (April, May, etc). I never thought this made any sense as all the kids had received the same education, so being a month or two older shouldn't have made any difference.

...it was only in 1959 when a teacher told me i had actually passed...as you say there was"nt a place for me
Yes - as Hillsbro wrote, if too many pupils passed for the number of grammar school places that were available, the pass mark was raised so that just enough passed for the available places.
... If your birthday was earlier in the year (say, October or January) you had to score a higher mark than pupils whose birth-dates fell later on (April, May, etc)...
That's quite correct - this "handicap" system was explained to us by the class teacher as we prepared for the 11 plus. In fact I think that in the 1950s some children did start at infants' school later in the school year than others, depending on when their birthday fell. My sister's birthday is 29 August, and so I imagine she had a zero handicap!

Hi again Tony, you mention Oakwood and I always thought that was Notre Dame girl's school at Fulwood, where my cousin went. (after Notre Dame moved from Cavendish Street, off Glossop Road).

Re the debate, I came originally from a council estate and had just moved to our first mortgaged house near St Joseph's Junior, Walkley, then took the 11 plus. I don't remember any pressure to pass.

I feel, as in my case, that Grammar Schools can take bright children from any background and encourage them to learn and question the subjects and established knowledge alongside their similar peers. However it is down to the individual- I was always more keen to play than do revision and suffered as a result. But I developed a lifelong thirst for knowledge and learning and if modern Grammar schools can do the same, we can perhaps raise standards to catch up with China et al.

Hello again Andy, yes I remember Notre Dame was for the Catholic girls and ours was for the boys, however I never knew the location. The Oakwood I am talking about is in Rotherham and is now called a high school. I remember my cousin who lived in Broom Valley area went there early fifties ( 3or 4 years older than me and non-Catholic). I always thought it was a grammar school due to the grey uniform and badge on the blazer.

---------- Post added 20-09-2016 at 11:17 ----------

I was a borderline fail. I was given the opportunity of a place at the City Tech but for reasons that are lost in the mist of time, I didn't go there. I seem to remember taking an entrance exam but failed that too, but not sure.

A teacher friend of mine once told me that in the 50's/early 60's, owing to the limited places in grammar schools, each primary was allotted a certain number of places. If primary school (a) was allotted say, two places, then the two highest marked pupils would pass. The upshot of this (according to him) was that it was feasible that a pupil from primary school (b) with a lower mark than the 3rd highest at school (a) could pass, if the allotted spaces allowed.

If this is true then it was pretty outrageous, but I have found no way of confirming it. The teacher friend died earlier this year so I can't even validate the original conversation.

Talking of borderline , a cousin of mine was that and his parents had to may a sum of money, which got him into Woodhouse grammar. I only remember because my mother told me that I had passed a "full grammar" to go to De La Salle, but his was called marginal or intermediate or something. I don't know if it was because I went to a Catholic one and he to a non Catholic one. Either way he went on to be a bank President and now lives in Bondi Beach , whereas I became a tradesman lol

The senior part of Notre Dame High School for Girls was called OAKBROOK and we spent a lot of our time trying to see the boys from De La Salle College, as we were repressed convent school girls! The boys from there seemed to spend most of their time trying to get away from the masters!! (forum link on De La Salle)