Making a Will ..

Eh? Are you saying that the person you choose to be the executor, can't be included in your will? :huh:

Also, if you do decide to use a solicitor, does the solicitor keep a record on file?

I was referring to the fact not everyone uses a solicitor.

I would expect a solicitor who prepared the will just to make a copy. Thats not the same as the original (signed) will itself. They cna keep one if you ask them to.

II would expect a solicitor who prepared the will just to make a copy. Thats not the same as the original (signed) will itself. They cna keep one if you ask them to.

Every firm should do so, not simply because of SRA requirements but also in case the Executor instructs the firm to handle the often-complex Probate procedures. That could be many decades later, of course.

• 4 months later...

I agree, it would make life so much easier if a national database contained all wills, including codicils and any updates. This would stop any family disagreements once the database provided the latest will. After all, without the solicitor holding a copy, whose to say the executor (if a member of the family) wouldn't destroy the latest version if he discovers the will excludes him and everything is left to the Dogs home?

I agree, it would make life so much easier if a national database contained all wills, including codicils and any updates. This would stop any family disagreements once the database provided the latest will. After all, without the solicitor holding a copy, whose to say the executor (if a member of the family) wouldn't destroy the latest version if he discovers the will excludes him and everything is left to the Dogs home?

Sounds like an excellent target for someone to crack into and have a little bit of mischief with that may not be spotted for decades...

I'd stick with bits of paper....

The solicitor keeps the original will you get a copy, when the person dies you need to sign for the original will at the solicitors. I had to do this when my father died as one of the banks would only release his estate when they had the original will to photocopy, the other bank accepted the copy of his will which I had.

Sounds like an excellent target for someone to crack into and have a little bit of mischief with that may not be spotted for decades...

I'd stick with bits of paper....

But the system works in the case of land ownership.

Despite the ill-conceived 'dematerialisation' of HMLR's records from 2003, the ownerships of over 75% of properties in E&W are handled quite well.