Debate etiquette

Yes, claiming an opinion is a FACT is annoying but the use of FACT can help to nudge on a debate by reminding people what we already know and agree on.

'End of' is more annoying but I wouldn't outlaw it either... I don't like censorship and that is by far the biggest 'etiquette' issue. Far too many posts get deleted because those with no counter argument report them as offensive. It doesn't matter whether the opinion is legitimate or backed up with evidence. Obviously, anything associated with religion or culture is particularly tricky ground but the fact is (see, I'm doing that thing now!) that there are problems with all religions and cultures and criticism and debate should not be off limits even if it inevitably offends some people.

I agree.

If something is critical of a culture or religion it gives the defenders of that cult/culture/sect/religion the opportunity to refute the argument or assumption. If all borderline offensive or reactionary comments are deleted then it can appear that censorship is working against the very thing they are trying to promote.

I agree.

If something is critical of a culture or religion it gives the defenders of that cult/culture/sect/religion the opportunity to refute the argument or assumption. If all borderline offensive or reactionary comments are deleted then it can appear that censorship is working against the very thing they are trying to promote.

We could do with an end to this strange new right not to be offended taking second place to the right to free speech sometimes.

The clear use of inverted commas when quoting -so as to avoid any misunderstanding regarding plagiarism.

We have the quote system already for that. I'd like to see a different style of quote though which makes it clear that you are referring to something not yours, and also not from one of the other posters - sometimes using "quote marks" can get lost if it's buried.

But yes you are perfectly correct - people should always be absolutely clear if they are quoting something from someone else and attributing it correctly. I just think that we could have a better way than quote marks...

---------- Post added 14-09-2016 at 15:45 ----------

We could do with an end to this strange new right not to be offended taking second place to the right to free speech sometimes.

You mean where people come up with their synthetic hurt and outrage and offence, just to stop the argument they think they are going to lose? That strange new right?

Seconded. Claiming to be offended if someone says 'you are delusional' or something equally innocuous. Is it an insult or is it easier to pretend it is so you don't have to address the point?

I am guilty of accusing people of being incapable of rational thought. I'm told this is insulting by some delicate flowers.

Seconded. Claiming to be offended if someone says 'you are delusional' or something equally innocuous. Is it an insult or is it easier to pretend it is so you don't have to address the point?

I am guilty of accusing people of being incapable of rational thought. I'm told this is insulting by some delicate flowers.

Quite. That's the sort of thing.

It is insulting, to give a generalised negative personal comment.

Oh well. I don't really care. If someone shows all the signs of being incapable of rational though I will ask them. It makes it clear I think their argument is irrational :)

Edited by Santo

Oh well. I don't really care. If someone shows all the signs of being incapable of rational though I will ask them. It makes it clear I think their argument is irrational :)

We are all anonymous, so that is ok, but dont over do it because some people still get upset.