Who will replace Labour as the main "progressive" voice in parliament?

See thread title  

34 members have voted

1. 1. See thread title

• The Liberal Democrats
    • A Labour break-away party
    • The SNP (a change of remit required there)
    • UKIP (substantial change in policy platform required one would think)
    • Another of the existing small parties
    • A brand new party
    • An Alliance of two or more of the above
    • I remain hopeful that Labour will survive its current problems

Surely that's an argument against the discussion of party politics in general.

Not really, just think it's pointless speculating and subject over covered. Also, I think some people on here think posting will influence the masses. I think not! Owen Smith probably musters a larger following at one of his rallies!

I thought it was 28

Tom Bradley (Leicester East)

Ronald Brown (Hackney South and Shoreditch)

John Cartwright (Woolwich East)

Richard Crawshaw (Liverpool Toxteth)

George Cunningham (Islington South and Finsbury)

Bruce Douglas-Mann (Mitcham and Morden, resigned his seat and lost the ensuing by-election)

James Dunn (Liverpool Kirkdale)

Tom Ellis (Wrexham)

David Ginsburg (Dewsbury)

John Grant (Islington Central)

John Horam (Gateshead West)

Ednyfed Hudson Davies (Caerphilly)

Edward Lyons (Bradford West)

Dr Dickson Mabon (Greenock and Port Glasgow)

Bryan Magee (Leyton)

Robert Maclennan (Caithness and Sutherland)

Tom McNally (Stockport South)

Bob Mitchell (Southampton Itchen)

Eric Ogden (Liverpool West Derby)

Michael O'Halloran (Islington North)

David Owen (Plymouth Devonport)

William Rodgers (Stockton-on-Tees)

John Roper (Farnworth)

Neville Sandelson (Hayes and Harlington)

Jeffrey Thomas (Abertillery)

Mike Thomas (Newcastle East)

James Wellbeloved (Erith and Crayford)

Ian Wrigglesworth (Thornaby)

One of them was a Tory, can't remember which.

You're just talking of the Mosborough. Hardly a national trend.

It did amuse me to hear the labour excuse regarding the mosborough election of the candidate being anti corbin. if that's a sign of success then expect 80% of mps and councillors in the country to go the same way.

Not really, just think it's pointless speculating and subject over covered. Also, I think some people on here think posting will influence the masses. I think not! Owen Smith probably musters a larger following at one of his rallies!

And that's an argument against discussion of all politics except amongst professional politicians.

Look I have to assume that other groups of people are having similar discussions throughout the country. Okay so we're a small group, but this is how politics works. If I don't talk to anybody with opposing views, I never question my own ideas. That's no good.

---------- Post added 15-09-2016 at 14:23 ----------

It did amuse me to hear the labour excuse regarding the mosborough election of the candidate being anti corbin. if that's a sign of success then expect 80% of mps and councillors in the country to go the same way.

That's the radical mindset. Everything is evidence that they're right.

It did. But there were only 4 break-away Labour MPs forming the SDP. This time I'd expect well over half the Labour PP.

The Gang of Four (Roy Jenkins, David Owen, Bill Rodgers and Shirley Williams) created the SDP but 28 Labour MP's defected after this launch along with one Tory MP in the same year.

I presume that was all over local literature tand influenced the vote :D Although, I've heard of candidates taking Tory seats in Belper and saying it's down to the Corbyn effect. I'll let you draw your own conclusions!

---------- Post added 15-09-2016 at 14:30 ----------

And that's an argument against discussion of all politics except amongst professional politicians.

Look I have to assume that other groups of people are having similar discussions throughout the country. Okay so we're a small group, but this is how politics works. If I don't talk to anybody with opposing views, I never question my own ideas. That's no good.

---------- Post added 15-09-2016 at 14:23 ----------

That's the radical mindset. Everything is evidence that they're right.

Absolutely, the debate is on and being played out in the media and obviously other threads on SF!

I presume that was all over local literature tand influenced the vote :D Although, I've heard of candidates taking Tory seats in Belper and saying it's down to the Corbyn effect. I'll let you draw your own conclusions!

I have. There will be rather more libdem councillors over the next few years.

labour have taken no council seats from the tories since the may elections although the libdems have taken quite a few from labour.

I also recall corbin trying to take credit for sadiq khan becoming london mayor. That is until sadiq told the media what he thought of corbin and how he wouldn't let him near the campaign.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37146729

Edited by pacifica

There would certainly be no shortage of funding and I doubt that immediate electoral success is a priority. Labour mps already know that they aren't going to be in government until 2025 at the earliest. A handfull of mps defecting would make that even more certain. So once a few have made the leap the electoral prospects of those remaining evapourate. Add to that the very real threat of deselection if you remain, I would say that there will be at least 50 who jump ship. Then with boundary changes coming around there will be more who are told that they won't be a labour candidate in 2020. I'd expect most of them to jump too. The only question is which whip will they follow?

For all but those in the safest Labour seats, not likely to change significantly after the Boundary review, the prospects are bad whatever they do.

Option 1) Stay loyal to Corbyn and lose your seat in 2020

Option 2) Distance yourself from Corbyn and be deselected before 2020

Option 3) Leave the party which is likely a deeply rooted part of your personal identity and maybe keep your seat in 2020.

Edited by unbeliever