Who will replace Labour as the main "progressive" voice in parliament?

See thread title  

34 members have voted

1. 1. See thread title

• The Liberal Democrats
    • A Labour break-away party
    • The SNP (a change of remit required there)
    • UKIP (substantial change in policy platform required one would think)
    • Another of the existing small parties
    • A brand new party
    • An Alliance of two or more of the above
    • I remain hopeful that Labour will survive its current problems

Okay, 66% turnout in the last GE.

640,000/(45,000,000x0.66)=2.2%

You could tie a red rosette to a donkey in Oldham and the people would vote for it....so said a chap on Question Time once.

I think it's safe to say Labour will get several million votes in 2020.

I think there are a lot more places than Oldham where that happens.

Yes, and it's true of some Tory seats as well.

I won't predict the outcome of the 2020 GE. I predicted the referendum outcome and was spot on number wise, but the wrong way round...

You could tie a red rosette to a donkey in Oldham and the people would vote for it....so said a chap on Question Time once.

I think it's safe to say Labour will get several million votes in 2020.

Oh yes of course they will, as you and others have said some people will vote Labour (or Tory) no matter what, but getting anything less than 8 million votes would be an absolute disaster for Labour.

Yes, and it's true of some Tory seats as well.

I won't predict the outcome of the 2020 GE. I predicted the referendum outcome and was spot on number wise, but the wrong way round...

Currently electoral calculus calculate the tories would increase their majority to 100 based on average of all recent polls. They further calculate that they would increase that by 22 if the boundaries are revised. 122 is quite some majority in a 600 seat parliament. when you consider the SNP will have 50 odd. Knock off about 30 for Plaid, Northern Ireland, UKIP, Greens, Independents and Libdems and it doesn't leave much for corbin to console his followers.

I'm sure there are but isn't the trick when in opposition to take seats off the party of government, not to celebrate hanging on to 60% of the ones that you already have?

True enough. I found this http://www.libdemvoice.org/29-of-seats-have-not-changed-hands-since-1945-16029.html

I'm surprised only 29% of seats haven't changed hands since the war.

Currently electoral calculus calculate the tories would increase their majority to 100 based on average of all recent polls. They further calculate that they would increase that by 22 if the boundaries are revised. 122 is quite some majority in a 600 seat parliament. when you consider the SNP will have 50 odd. Knock off about 30 for Plaid, Northern Ireland, UKIP, Greens, Independents and Libdems and it doesn't leave much for corbin to console his followers.

I'm not convinced the boundaries will be changed before 2020.

I can't see the Tories losing. But Labour will be in opposition still. Whether Corbyn stays on after that remains to be seen.

But, what happens after Corbyn wins this leadership race could prove interesting.