Who will replace Labour as the main "progressive" voice in parliament?

See thread title  

34 members have voted

1. 1. See thread title

• The Liberal Democrats
    • A Labour break-away party
    • The SNP (a change of remit required there)
    • UKIP (substantial change in policy platform required one would think)
    • Another of the existing small parties
    • A brand new party
    • An Alliance of two or more of the above
    • I remain hopeful that Labour will survive its current problems

I do find it wonderful how supposedly labour supporters will attack their own and not be bright enough to realise what they are doing.

---------- Post added 19-09-2016 at 08:47 ----------

http://www.theweek.co.uk/labour-leadership-election/74344/labour-leadership-election-polls-and-odds-will-debate-have-an/page/0/2

Millions of Labour voters prefer May to Corbyn

10 August 2016

Millions of Labour supporters would vote for the Conservative Party's Theresa May over Jeremy Corbyn, a new poll has revealed.

The survey, conducted by YouGov for The Times, showed that 29 per cent of people who voted for the party in the last general election would now back May over the embattled Labour leader. This equates to 2.7 million Labour voters out of a total 9.3 million.

I quite like Theresa May myself, but then she hasn't had time to either prove herself or screw things up yet.

Personally I also quite liked the coalition, and believe Clegg tried to have a mitigating affect on David Cameron but wasn't strong enough. Anyway I've always preferred proportional representation to the current system.

The most influential man in politics over the past few years has been Nigel Farage and he wasn't even an MP. Love him or hate him, he's changed politics through sheer strength of will and personality. Jeremy Corbyn is having a similar effect by having ideas of his own and genuinely opposing the ruling class mores. He has got them scared and I think Theresa May has learned/benefitted from that and is putting forward a much softer Tory party image. Whether it's real or not remains to be seen.

But don't tell me Jeremy Corbyn isn't an effective opposition. He has single-handedly galvanised politics like no other.

But don't tell me Jeremy Corbyn isn't an effective opposition. He has single-handedly galvanised politics like no other.

Jeremy Corbyn isn't an effective opposition.

The Conservatives have walked all over him ever since he became leader, more so as his leadership collapsed in terms of the parliamentary party.

Theresa May could probably get away with invading France right now if she were so inclined.

You've failed to respond to most of the points put to you since you last posted.

We were discussing your demand for evidence that Jeremy Corbyn was not able to win votes outside the party core (or to an extent within it).

You have been provided with very strong evidence, and invited to counter it.

It all started when I asserted that "Moderate electors will not vote for Corbyn" and you said "Where is your evidence".

The time has come to look elsewhere for parliamentary representation of progressive ideology.

Edited by unbeliever

I quite like Theresa May myself, but then she hasn't had time to either prove herself or screw things up yet.

Personally I also quite liked the coalition, and believe Clegg tried to have a mitigating affect on David Cameron but wasn't strong enough. Anyway I've always preferred proportional representation to the current system.

The most influential man in politics over the past few years has been Nigel Farage and he wasn't even an MP. Love him or hate him, he's changed politics through sheer strength of will and personality. Jeremy Corbyn is having a similar effect by having ideas of his own and genuinely opposing the ruling class mores. He has got them scared and I think Theresa May has learned/benefitted from that and is putting forward a much softer Tory party image. Whether it's real or not remains to be seen.

You are a massive fantasist. Theresa May acknowledged the Tories are known as the nasty party long before anyone had heard of Corbyn. In 2002 as a point of fact. So don't begin to claim she is copying Corbyn because it is undiluted, uninformed crap.

Step into the light Anna B!

Corbyn couldn't possibly become Labour party leader if you remember. Not in a million years, it was unthinkable, a joke. The polls practically ignored him, He was just there to make up the numbers, the media did likewise, Jeremy who? Not a snowball's chance in hell, etc etc etc.

The polls all said Brexit wouldn't happen, but it did. Just how often do polls have to get it wrong before people learn that they are not the be all and end all....

Like I said, the world is changing. Anything can happen.

Corbyn couldn't possibly become Labour party leader if you remember. Not in a million years, it was unthinkable, a joke. The polls practically ignored him, He was just there to make up the numbers, the media did likewise, Jeremy who? Not a snowball's chance in hell, etc etc etc.

The polls all said Brexit wouldn't happen, but it did. Just how often do polls have to get it wrong before people learn that they are not the be all and end all....

That's a fair point. The best argument against democracy is to meet the average voter!

It's not rational to operate on the assumption that the most unlikely things will happen.

Oh and I supported none of those predictions at the time. It's a false comparison.

I believe that that UK people including a large fraction of those who normally vote Labour, will not vote Labour at the GE in 2020 in significant numbers if Corbyn is in charge. You know why I believe that? Because people have asked them and they said so. It's really not terribly complicated.

Edited by unbeliever

Yep!

And it already has :D