Who will replace Labour as the main "progressive" voice in parliament?

See thread title  

34 members have voted

1. 1. See thread title

• The Liberal Democrats
    • A Labour break-away party
    • The SNP (a change of remit required there)
    • UKIP (substantial change in policy platform required one would think)
    • Another of the existing small parties
    • A brand new party
    • An Alliance of two or more of the above
    • I remain hopeful that Labour will survive its current problems

Just to add to that..

Jeremy Corbyn's expenses for 2014/15 were £159,528.63

Theresa May's expenses for 2014/15 were £109,256.22

Neither May or Corbyn were leaders of their party in the 2014/15 financial year.

Where is May's constituency? I Googled it: Maidenhead in Berkshire. So, not within London like Corbyn then...

Edited by Santo

Just to add to that..

Neither May or Corbyn were leaders of their party in the 2014/15 financial year.

Jeremy Corbyn's constituency is Islington. There's no possible way he needs a second home. How did he manage to spend £160k in a year?

At least Theresa May's constituency is outside London (just).

---------- Post added 23-09-2016 at 19:00 ----------

Where is May's constituency? I Googled it: Maidenhead in Berkshire. So, not within London like Corbyn then...

I see we are of one mind.

Maidenhead yes. I didn't say it was within London?

As I'm sure you know, London MP's have a higher limit for expenses for staffing to reflect the higher living costs (£145,500 vs £138,600 I believe). Corbyn was however much closer to that limit to May, not that I have a problem with that at all, it just illustrates that Corbyn isn't wildly unlike other MP's, which I think some people like to think he is (he pays his friend's daughter £40,000 a year).

Project forward to this year.

Theresa May (the actual Prime Minister) will cost the UK taxpayers £252,718.

Jeremy Corbyn (the sort of leader of the opposition) will cost the UK taxpayers £296,930.

Jeremy "man of the people" Corbyn is 17.5% more expensive to the UK taxpayers than Theresa May. What the actual....!

Maidenhead yes. I didn't say it was within London?

As I'm sure you know, London MP's have a higher limit for expenses for staffing to reflect the higher living costs (£145,500 vs £138,600 I believe). Corbyn was however much closer to that limit to May, not that I have a problem with that at all, it just illustrates that Corbyn isn't wildly unlike other MP's, which I think some people like to think he is (he pays his friend's daughter £40,000 a year).

No, I didn't know that. I was saying it's not in London because I'd expect her expenses to exceed Corbyn's because he actually lives in London :)

Though you raise the cost of living being higher in London. But she will have greater travel expenses one would think?

No, I didn't know that. I was saying it's not in London because I'd expect her expenses to exceed Corbyn's because he actually lives in London :)

Though you raise the cost of living being higher in London. But she will have greater travel expenses one would think?

Theresa May didn't claim any travel expenses in 2014/15 (which as you point out, is quite surprising for an MP that doesn't live in London).

Edited by Robin-H

If an MP's only home is in London they pay for it themselves, like everybody else.

The taxpayer only pays expenses for second homes, notionally for MPs who's constituency is too far from Westminster to commute.

Edited by unbeliever

Just to add to that..

When the MPs expenses scandal was in the news Jeremy Corbyn's expenses were £13.50p. He will have more expenses as Leader of the opposition. As for his choice of suits, maybe he just prefers not to spend money on them. He never was a flashy dresser and has actually improved a bit since taking office, so he is trying.

When the MPs expenses scandal was in the news Jeremy Corbyn's expenses were £13.50p. He will have more expenses as Leader of the opposition. As for his choice of suits, maybe he just prefers not to spend money on them. He never was a flashy dresser and has actually improved a bit since taking office, so he is trying.

Do you mean the £8.95 figure from 2009/10?

Although publicised quite a bit (particularly on social media) the figure was actually so low because of an error. The actual amount for that year was £129310. He failed to submit the claims in time so when they were published it looked like he only claimed £8.95 - he didn't.

Do you mean the £8.95 figure from 2009/10?

Although publicised quite a bit (particularly on social media) the figure was actually so low because of an error. The actual amount for that year was £129310. He failed to submit the claims in time so when they were published it looked like he only claimed £8.95 - he didn't.

Yes. He'd actually just screwed up his accounts temporarily. He still got the £130k.

It was a massive exercise in spin.

Anna: Do not believe Cornbyn's own press. Would you have accepted this £8.95 unquestioningly if it has come from a Conservative, or a moderate Labour MP?