Who will replace Labour as the main "progressive" voice in parliament?

See thread title  

34 members have voted

1. 1. See thread title

• The Liberal Democrats
    • A Labour break-away party
    • The SNP (a change of remit required there)
    • UKIP (substantial change in policy platform required one would think)
    • Another of the existing small parties
    • A brand new party
    • An Alliance of two or more of the above
    • I remain hopeful that Labour will survive its current problems

Here's a twist on the original question have all three parties run their course is it time for new replacement parties to take their place?

It takes decades for new parties to break in a become serious contenders. Is there anybody waiting in the wings you have in mind?

Here's a twist on the original question have all three parties run their course is it time for new replacement parties to take their place?

Parties are constantly evolving, so in that sense we are getting new parties throughout time anyway, just with the same name.

The Conservative party is a very different beast to the Conservative party of the 19th Century, they just share the name (and very different from the Tory party who preceded them).

Blair's Labour was very different from the Labour of the 70's (and now).

It did amuse me to hear the labour excuse regarding the mosborough election of the candidate being anti corbin.

It was the same with the train business.

First they said there were no free seats because there were people on them.

Then when the footage was released they said there were bags and children on them.

Then when asked why his wife wasn't sat on the floor with him, they said nowt.

For all but those in the safest Labour seats, not likely to change significantly after the Boundary review, the prospects are bad whatever they do.

Option 1) Stay loyal to Corbyn and lose your seat in 2020

Option 2) Distance yourself from Corbyn and be deselected before 2020

Option 3) Leave the party which is likely a deeply rooted part of your personal identity and maybe keep your seat in 2020.

I think it is the first time ever where I have heard labour "supporters" accusing labour mps and labour councillors of being disloyal and publically wishing labour candidates to lose elections.

---------- Post added 15-09-2016 at 15:01 ----------

Blair's Labour was very different from the Labour of the 70's (and now).

yes it was electable.

It takes decades for new parties to break in a become serious contenders. Is there anybody waiting in the wings you have in mind?

Does it? There are loads of new parties, often fringe parties, springing up and making in roads accross Europe. One runs Greece! You could make an argument that trump isn't truly representative of the Republican Party and should be running under a different banner.

Does it? There are loads of new parties, often fringe parties, springing up and making in roads accross Europe. One runs Greece! You could make an argument that trump isn't truly representative of the Republican Party and should be running under a different banner.

Yes it does. The US system allows essentially anybody to enter a primary election for either party and theoretically end up as their candidate as Trump did.

The Greek system is PR and their election means nothing. Apart from all sorts of other objections to the comparison, Syriza doesn't run Greece, the EU does.

FPTP is a massive barrier to new parties.

Edited by unbeliever

I dont think any and the Cons will continue to rule because the others cant get their act together. Labour will never muster enough support unless they capture the centre ground and they wont do that whils Corbyn is in power, so I'd rule out the next two elections. I havent seen any effective opposition leader yet.

T May is doing a good job imo because she doesnt have to do anything and isnt making gaffes by being quiet.

If Labour split then they would need a leader and I havent seen one that is going to inspire anyone.

Events change everything though.

A plea to the moderators:

Please don't merge this with Solomon1's thread. Whilst it makes reference to Corbyn it's about who will replace Labour rather than about Labour itself.

---------- Post added 15-09-2016 at 15:43 ----------

I dont think any and the Cons will continue to rule because the others cant get their act together. Labour will never muster enough support unless they capture the centre ground and they wont do that whils Corbyn is in power, so I'd rule out the next two elections. I havent seen any effective opposition leader yet.

T May is doing a good job imo because she doesnt have to do anything and isnt making gaffes by being quiet.

If Labour split then they would need a leader and I havent seen one that is going to inspire anyone.

Events change everything though.

You'll be surprised how quickly an effective leader can rise from the ranks.