Who will replace Labour as the main "progressive" voice in parliament?

See thread title  

34 members have voted

1. 1. See thread title

• The Liberal Democrats
    • A Labour break-away party
    • The SNP (a change of remit required there)
    • UKIP (substantial change in policy platform required one would think)
    • Another of the existing small parties
    • A brand new party
    • An Alliance of two or more of the above
    • I remain hopeful that Labour will survive its current problems

It's quite possible the Tories will implode at turbo speed.

Politics has gone crazy and absolutely anything could happen.

With May in charge, I doubt it. We've got 4 years of very little happening outside of brexit, and that's going to be a can that gets kicked along for as long as possible.

Now, if she goes for any reason (which again I doubt but never say never) there will a lurch to a right wing nutbag.

With May in charge, I doubt it. We've got 4 years of very little happening outside of brexit, and that's going to be a can that gets kicked along for as long as possible.

Now, if she goes for any reason (which again I doubt but never say never) there will a lurch to a right wing nutbag.

The tories look more united than any time in the last 2 decades. The problem is that with no effective opposition they can do pretty much what they like in the certain knowledge that there won't be a challenge before 2025.

The tories look more united than any time in the last 2 decades. The problem is that with no effective opposition they can do pretty much what they like in the certain knowledge that there won't be a challenge before 2025.

If you watched Question Time last night you'll know they are not united. Big problems ahead

If you watched Question Time last night you'll know they are not united. Big problems ahead

I didn't see it, can you fill us in? Are there bad feelings still running strong following Brexit, or the leadership challenge?

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/effective

Jeremy Corbyn is SOLELY responsible for galvanising THOUSANDS

I'd call that pretty damn effective!

Credit where credit's due

Rabble rousing is no excuse for poor leadership and not being up to the job.

No-one had even HEARD of him 10 months ago

Does that not strike you as odd? That he's been a nobody for so long, with no shining political career.

He didn't even "rise through the ranks". He was put on the shortlist as a joke,and it backfired.

Edited by alchresearch

This might have already been mentioned, but I could see a number of 'rebel' MPs deflect to LibDem if Corbyn is elected leader. I think that LibDem would need to carefully screen them on their policies/voting behaviour in the past though and, true to the nature of the party, should give the party members a chance to say yes or no to each individual added to the ballot in this manner.

Equally, I am fairly sure there are already rampant 'castles in the sky' by the Rebel MPs to reboot the Labour party in a different guise. This leads to the following situation in the UK (thanks to the FPTP) - more small parties, more Tory power. Those small parties will hopefully rally together and finally end FPTP completely.

It was Brocklebank-Fowler who was in a Norfolk country seat. Doesn't appear on that list above though.

Brocklebank-Fowler, not just the Tory MP, but the only SDP MP ever, who had a hyphenated name, eventually joined the Labour party and campaigned on their behalf in his former natural Tory seat of North West Norfolk, a seat which Labour amazingly took in 1997 in one of the biggest upsets of that extraordinary election. Labour did however lose it again in the 'quiet landslide' of 2001.

This might have already been mentioned, but I could see a number of 'rebel' MPs deflect to LibDem if Corbyn is elected leader. I think that LibDem would need to carefully screen them on their policies/voting behaviour in the past though and, true to the nature of the party, should give the party members a chance to say yes or no to each individual added to the ballot in this manner.

Equally, I am fairly sure there are already rampant 'castles in the sky' by the Rebel MPs to reboot the Labour party in a different guise. This leads to the following situation in the UK (thanks to the FPTP) - more small parties, more Tory power. Those small parties will hopefully rally together and finally end FPTP completely.

Or....the party finally rallies round Corbyn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4UhpnHAbPg

And his support continues to grow! :nod:

If the effect you were going for was destroying the Labour party, he's doing a bang up job. So maybe you're right.

Jeremy Corbyn was doing a damn good job and gaining ground fast. He was chiming with the ordinary voters and winning them over.

Why the Labour MPs chose to disrupt this growing success by calling a vote of no confidence when the Conservatives were on the ropes with the result of the referendum is inexplicable stupidity. It is they who have done the damage to the Labour party, not Corbyn.

And to chose Owen Smith as an alternative simply beggars belief.