Monk woods Dronfield abandoned buildings

DronfieldMTB

A quick search of the forum brought up this if it helps?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-239363.html

Yeah read through that thread but couldn't find the location of the concrete bunker or house as the woods are so big, but cheers anyway

---------- Post added 16-09-2016 at 22:03 ----------

sounds a bit like treeton woods, used to be an old house in there, very scary

Do you know if the house is still there as might have to take a trip down

I mix in Urbex circles Iv never seen any photos or mentioning of this place. But some years ago I was told yes their was some cottages in the woods that still had personal belongs in them however they were going back to the 1960s its possible that the cottages are demolished as for a bunker don't know.

I mix in Urbex circles Iv never seen any photos or mentioning of this place. But some years ago I was told yes their was some cottages in the woods that still had personal belongs in them however they were going back to the 1960s its possible that the cottages are demolished as for a bunker don't know.

Well a friend told me fairly recently there was a house in grasscroft wood right next to monk woods but I've been told that it is at the bottom of an opening? Do you know where the cottages used to be?

Well a friend told me fairly recently there was a house in grasscroft wood right next to monk woods but I've been told that it is at the bottom of an opening? Do you know where the cottages used to be?

Only idea, go to Chesterfield Library ask them if they have any old maps of the area in their collection. Some maps go back to the early 19th century its also possible they may have information on the house and cottages. I don't know the locations as Iv never been and like Iv said never seen a report on any Urbex sites.

Here is a link to a map of the area dating from 100+ years ago, and this doesn't mark any buildings in the wood (there is a blue dot towards the left-hand side of the screen - click on this and drag it to the left to see a modern aerial view). It's possible that there might have been a temporary building in the wood - a hermit's or charcoal burner's hut, for example - which doesn't show on the map.

Just been looking at the map is the ' bunker' in fact part of the colliery that was once in Monk Woods and the only building facing an opening is Monk Woods farm. I could be wrong on this their was or is a stone built house that has been derelict for years it could be seen off the road but Iv not been in that area for years . Had another look are you sure its is in Monk Woods not Renshaw Woods ?

Edited by crookedspire

Here is a link to a map of the area dating from 100+ years ago, and this doesn't mark any buildings in the wood (there is a blue dot towards the left-hand side of the screen - click on this and drag it to the left to see a modern aerial view). It's possible that there might have been a temporary building in the wood - a hermit's or charcoal burner's hut, for example - which doesn't show on the map.

Thanks! Just had a look on the map now and it looks like it might of been the colliery as crookedspire said. Still might go down at some point just in case anything has been built more recent than the maps.