Police action on motorists endangering cyclists

SYP are considering a similar scheme. The assistant PCC is contacting her WMP counterpart about it

Meanwhile in London the police are considering going as far as crushing the cars of repeat offenders

https://www.eta.co.uk/2016/11/22/helmet-cam-footage/

their cars could be confiscated and crushed. Section 59 of the Road Reform Act allows the police to give drivers a warning if they use their vehicle in a manner which causes “alarm, distress or annoyance”. If the vehicle is used in an antisocial manner again within 12 months, the law allows police to seize it.

If you've been warned I can see the issue with that

I wonder how widely this practice might be shared too:

http://road.cc/content/news/212515-metropolitan-police-beta-testing-video-upload-site-close-pass-and-other-footage

A van today made an illegal right turn across the front of me. Gave me a fright.

Idiots on 2 wheels, 4 wheels, no wheels, you name the number they'll be an idiot there somewhere.

I see cars make illegal right turns every day, jumping red lights is quite common too, speeding, driving on pavements; the police are generally pro-cars, and couldnt careless.

I'd be happy to see this available in Sheffield. I have plenty of footage I could upload (mostly drivers but also a couple of cyclists). In the past I've had to take footage in to a station and wait for them to bring out a "safe" laptop in case of malware.

They are pro budget control. Thank austerity.

---------- Post added 03-12-2016 at 17:47 ----------

I'd be happy to see this available in Sheffield. I have plenty of footage I could upload (mostly drivers but also a couple of cyclists). In the past I've had to take footage in to a station and wait for them to bring out a "safe" laptop in case of malware.

I just showed them the video on my phone the last (and only time) I've made a complaint. And then emailed them a youtube link.

The worst offenders when the topic is "motorists endangering cyclists" are cyclists? How do cyclists endanger cyclists (ignoring that they aren't motorists)... I see them break the rules, but they rarely appear to endanger anyone. There's a young woman who routinely used the pavement to skip lights, but she's not actually creating danger.

The worst offenders when the topic is "motorists endangering cyclists" are cyclists? How do cyclists endanger cyclists (ignoring that they aren't motorists)... I see them break the rules, but they rarely appear to endanger anyone. There's a young woman who routinely used the pavement to skip lights, but she's not actually creating danger.

The next time you hear someone blaming cyclists for their own injuries, you can respond that 80% of all injuries to 25+ cyclists are, according to the police officer recording the incident, either solely or partly the responsibility of the driver.

The graph above shows that in the majority of all incidents where cyclists were killed, the driver was held to be solely to blame. This is not the case amongst cyclists under the age of 25 - particularly with regard to children. However, for adults aged 25-39 52% of deaths were deemed to be solely the fault of the driver, while in a further 17%, both the cyclist and the driver had faults attributed to them.

In the case of deaths of cyclists between 40-54, the drivers' share is even higher: 70% drivers alone, 8% jointly at fault and only 23% the sole fault of the cyclist.

When it comes to injuries, rather than deaths, the relationship is even more skewed, with responsibility for the vast majority of crashes laid at the drivers' door.

http://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/chris-peck/whos-to-blame-in-crashes-between-cyclists-and-motorists