Police action on motorists endangering cyclists

Yes of course anyone using the road should be insured for there own sake. Most cyclists have cars so it would be very easy to add a bike to there policy and gov policy to include road tax in car tax. :rant::rant:

If a cyclist is involved in an accident and it isn't their fault, they can claim against the other party's insurance (like I did successfully). Some cyclists do have insurance, but the risk of a cyclist causing an accident and significant damage to a vehicle are very low. The cyclist will always come off worse.

Some of that is moot as the car is unlikely to be able to detect the age of a pedestrian. Indeed even a human driver, reacting in a crisis is unlikely to note the age.

Of course the human reaction will in most cases be to save themselves, particularly as it happens as muscle memory, not a conscious rational decision.

New scientist this week. Very topical

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23130923-200-germany-to-create-worlds-first-highway-code-for-driverless-cars/

Dobrindt wants three things: that a car always opts for property damage over personal injury; that it never distinguishes between humans based on categories such as age or race; and that if a human removes his or her hands from the steering wheel – to check email, say – the car’s manufacturer is liable if there is a collision.

If a cyclist is involved in an accident and it isn't their fault, they can claim against the other party's insurance (like I did successfully). Some cyclists do have insurance, but the risk of a cyclist causing an accident and significant damage to a vehicle are very low. The cyclist will always come off worse.

In an accident on the road that is invariably true, however, an accident on the footpath will usually end up with the poor pedestrian coming off very badly. In those cases how does the pedestrian get compensation? There are very good reasons for requiring cyclists to get insurance as well as the creation of some scheme to allow the easy and rapid identification of a cyclist when an incident occurs

Awaits the usual suspects shouting this down

In an accident on the road that is invariably true, however, an accident on the footpath will usually end up with the poor pedestrian coming off very badly. In those cases how does the pedestrian get compensation? There are very good reasons for requiring cyclists to get insurance as well as the creation of some scheme to allow the easy and rapid identification of a cyclist when an incident occurs

Also there's posts #87 and #89, when a cyclist causes a motorist to collide and injure themselves and/or others.

Insurance is a good idea but the identification bit is harder. It isn't foolproof for motor vehicles and there are all sorts of complications; what about children, people who have more than one bike, administration costs etc. Everywhere it has been tried it has been discontinued as a waste of effort. But, they are trying it in Zimbabwe, so perhaps we could adopt some more of their practices too.

Insurance is a good idea bit the identification bit is harder.

I think it's very simple, a hi-vis bib/vest/gilet ( which many cyclists already wear ) with an ID number on it in adequately large enough print.

It isn't foolproof for motor vehicles and there are all sorts of complications; what about children
Have a minimum age for insurance, below that the parents are responsible

people who have more than one bike[
use the same bib/vest/gilet, have the ID apply to the rider not the bike

administration costs etc. Everywhere it has been tried it has been discontinued as a waste of effort. But, they are trying it in Zimbabwe, so perhaps we could adopt some more of their practices too.
Which places have already tried it? Edited by RootsBooster

just out of curiosity how do you pay to be on the road?

you do realise your VED does not go for roads, its just general taxation. and it has not been a "road tax" since 1938

No matter what Government coffers my brass ends up in, it costs me money to be legal on the roads, road tax (or whatever you like to call it) insurance for if I have an accident and injure some one, and money I pay to keep my car legal to be on the road, tyres, annual car test and regular maintenance costs.

Pray tell me, what does a cyclist pay to be legal on a public road. I suspect the answer will be zero. And if a cyclist passes through a red light (which they frequently do) and hits my car and inflict minor damage to it, say a pushed in door or wing, who pays for that.

Angel1.

No matter what Government coffers my brass ends up in, it costs me money to be legal on the roads, road tax (or whatever you like to call it) insurance for if I have an accident and injure some one, and money I pay to keep my car legal to be on the road, tyres, annual car test and regular maintenance costs.

Pray tell me, what does a cyclist pay to be legal on a public road. I suspect the answer will be zero. And if a cyclist passes through a red light (which they frequently do) and hits my car and inflict minor damage to it, say a pushed in door or wing, who pays for that.

Angel1.

If it doesn't matter which coffers it goes into then most cyclists will be paying to be on the roads through VAT, income tax, national insurance, etc.

If you're going to have an ignorant opinion of the situation, you have to accept the logic that goes along with your opinion.

Pray tell me, what does a cyclist pay to be legal on a public road. I suspect the answer will be zero.

They don't pay anything to be legal on the roads because they have an automatic legal right to be on the roads (like horses and pedestrians but unlike cars). If you don't think cyclists contribute to the upkeep of our roads answer me these questions:

Where is Sheffield council getting the money from to pay for its PFI road maintenance scheme?

Do cyclists get a discount from contributing to that?