Do you feel more or less patriotic since the EU Referendum ?

Since the Referendum do you feel more or less patriotic ?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Since the Referendum do you feel more or less patriotic ?

• More patriotic
    • Less patriotic
    • No difference

I'm not British, I'm English and always will be. Try telling a Scotsman, a Welshman and an Irishman that they are British.

The point is it's got nothing to do with the EU - which was your original complaint.

---------- Post added 22-10-2016 at 15:56 ----------

No, I said 50k+ voted to remain in Sunderland. It's not unreasonable to assume that most of the Nissan workers and immediate family were among these 50k.

Nissan are massively important to local economy in Sunderland and it's regeneration after the shipbuilders and mines closed. Everyone in the town will have an idea of the impact of them leaving. The people of Sunderland as a whole put the prosperity of Sunderland as a whole at risk by voting for Brexit.

Now I hope nobody loses their job because of Brexit, but if jobs are lost, my sympathies aren't going to be towards those who voted leave.

I'm English!

No you are not. Legally, you're BRITISH. Calling yourself English is about as useful as calling yourself a Mancunian. It doesn't actually mean very much other than indicating which of the home nations you are from that make up the UK. If you ever need help from our consulates or embassies abroad, you'll need to prove that you are BRITISH to get assistance. Your passport very much says that your nationality is BRITISH as that is your legal standing.

My first default answer would be that I am British. I would never refer to myself as being English.

---------- Post added 22-10-2016 at 21:13 ----------

Canada walks out and brands the EU incapable as trade talks breakdown= http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/21/canada-walks-out-of-eu-trade-talks-declaring-a-deal-impossible-a/

I wonder if the EU is capable of dealing with brexit talks?

The chief EU negotiator chief is already asking for the brexit talks to be conducted in French! = https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/21/theresa-may-brexit-negotiations-language-french

The Eu seems bitter and resentful just like some remainers are becoming.

This should terrify us. If the EU cannot save this trade agreement with Canada, it makes the Brexit negotiations look very difficult. Canada is as European a country can get without being in the EU. It has taken them 7 years to get to this point. We'll have 2 years and the EU will want to punish us. So good luck with that. We'll default to WTO rules on trade and it is going to cost us.

I'm not British, I'm English and always will be. Try telling a Scotsman, a Welshman and an Irishman that they are British.

Right, if you don`t regard yourself as British, despite the fact that legally and technically you are and always will be, what difference would it make (to you) if you were also technically European ? You can ignore it if you want, just like you ignore the fact you`re British. You can do the latter if you want, it`s no skin off my nose. But, you see, it does make a big difference to me the fact I may end up not being technically European, so why can`t we have the same arrangement ? We can both continue to be technically European, but you can ignore it ? It`s no skin off your nose either, is it ?

---------- Post added 22-10-2016 at 21:31 ----------

This should terrify us. If the EU cannot save this trade agreement with Canada, it makes the Brexit negotiations look very difficult. Canada is as European a country can get without being in the EU. It has taken them 7 years to get to this point. We'll have 2 years and the EU will want to punish us. So good luck with that. We'll default to WTO rules on trade and it is going to cost us.

And who could blame them (apart from Farage and his cohorts, obviously) ? Have they no concept of people`s feelings ? We`ve basically said "we don`t want to be in your gang". Plus there`s no way on God`s earth the EU are going to give us a better deal than we had before (full access to the single market without paying any contribution or accepting free movement of people), if they did the EU definitely would be finished. We can be certain they aren`t going to go for that, sorry, everyone with half a brain and/or no axe to grind, can be certain of that.

Edited by Justin Smith

No you are not. Legally, you're BRITISH. Calling yourself English is about as useful as calling yourself a Mancunian. It doesn't actually mean very much other than indicating which of the home nations you are from that make up the UK. If you ever need help from our consulates or embassies abroad, you'll need to prove that you are BRITISH to get assistance. Your passport very much says that your nationality is BRITISH as that is your legal standing.

My first default answer would be that I am British. I would never refer to myself as being English.

Yes he/she is if that is how they identify. It's perfectly ok to identify as being exclusively English. Some people feel that way rightly or wrongly.

To most people their identity is very important and telling them they are wrong about it is not a good thing to do.

what did you put on your census form